Falco

Falco's POV

It's an oddly cool summer this year, the nights dropping down have been a wonderful reprieve from the scorching days. The cool weather made walking home enjoyable for the first time in a long time.

It was a long day at the Ludu with the last fight having just taken place two days ago many of the men still had wounds that need to be taken care of. Luckily, most of my men came back which is a blessing given to us by Jupiter himself.

As I continue walking I enjoy listening to the night around me. I hear the chorus of cicadas and crickets singing to their heart's content, laughter from open windows of nearby homes and the occasional street animal on the hunt for their dinner. As I grow closer to my home I start to hear sniffling in the alley up ahead. It is a hushed sound almost non-existent in the busy night. Someone not paying attention could easily pass by without a second thought to it.

My first instinct is to keep walking, Rome is not the place to dabble in others misfortune. There is plenty to go around as is. Telling myself it is an intoxicated scorned mistress makes it easier to make myself to walk on, until I spot it. There in the alleyway is a tiny hunched over person. Far too small to be a grown woman or even small boy.

I stop and stare somewhat amazed at the small child. This part of the city isn't known for beggar children but it wouldn't surprise me if a young stable boy finally pushed his luck too far.

The young child stops crying when they notice I am staring. Slowly they raise their head and our eyes meet.

I gasp in awe at the young child - well I should say the young girl. She cannot be more than 10 years old and she has piercing sapphire blue eyes like the ocean and a mass of blonde curls falling over her shoulders. She looks as delicate as a rose that has no thorns for protection, just waiting to see how the world will treat it.

I cough to clear my head and raise my hands palm out to show her I have no visible weapons. I don't want to scare her and have her run away. I'd likely never find her.

"Are you alright child? Do you need help?"

Genevieve's POV

I stare at the man, he must think I'm crazy to trust some random man off the street.

I quickly scoot back into a smaller ball from before and sniffle quietly. I can't remember how I got here or how I magically turned into a small child... I remember being in the car with Harper and the wreck but after that there's nothing but pitch black and silence... I do know I wasn't a child about 10 years old though.

How did this happen? Why am I in a child's body? All I remember after waking up is stumbling from this alley in search of Harper. I had to steal this raggedy robe just to cover my body and then still nothing I did mattered, my search was fruitless- great now I'm even more hungry than before. My stomach agrees by making the most horrendous noise to date.

"Child? Are you hungry? I have an apple somewhere in my sack..." He pulls an apple out of his sack after a minute of rummaging around, and holds it out to me.

I feel like a spooked horse with how on edge I am but I'm so incredibly hungry there is no way I can pass up free food...  I inch forward and gently take the apple out of his hand while whispering a thank you. I'm not sure if I should eat it, what if this is a test? What if he gets mad at me for not being more grateful? Or worst, demands something I can't do in return?

He laughs a gentle laugh and sits down on the ground about three feet away from me, "I'm Falco Angelucci, I'm the doctor at the nearby Ludus Magnus for the gladiators."

My head tilts to the side showing my confusion. What is that? I can't help myself, I want to know more about where I am and this guy seems pretty easy-going, "Excuse me but what is a Loodoos Magnes?"

My voice surprises me, small and delicate. A step above a whisper but it doesn't sound shaky or nervous, just curious. I'm stunned because I have always had a loud voice. You know, the type where people are constantly telling you to be quieter. I guess it isn't only my surroundings that changed. Do I look the same? Will my voice change as I age... again? Pulling myself from my internal delima I stare up at Falco.

He chuckles and smiles but looks a little surprised and takes his time in answering my question. Great, it must be something everyone here knows about. Way to go G, way to out yourself even more. Now I hope he's laughing at my bad pronunciation and not my lack of knowing what the heck he's talking about.

"It's a school for gladiators. It's where they train for their fights. Some live there and some are imprisoned there."

"Gladiators? But it can't be... Falco? Did I say that correctly?"

He nods his head, "Yes?"

"Where am I? I remember being in a horrible accident with my mother and after that there's nothing. Plus, you're speaking of gladiators like we are in Rome..."

Better keep the ancient part to myself.

I can't just say I was in a car wreck with my not so soon to be stepmom. Boy, that's a woozy, even to me and I know the situation.

"An accident? Did you get hurt? Maybe you hit your head? It would explain your confused rambling... "

I answer the best I can without lying to him, "Maybe? I honestly don't remember what happened it was all so sudden."

He nods his head agreeing with my anwer, "Of course, a hit to the head can make you very confused. As you know we are in Rome and Gladiators are quite popular right now."

I look down at the apple and want to cry all over. How did I get here? Is Harper okay? I wipe my tears away but more quickly fill in their place.

"Child, what is your name?"

He's closer this time, he scooted his body towards me but still he left me enough room to not feel completely trapped. I could probably run away if I'd like but he is the only kind person I've met so far and he gave me food.

"... I'm Genevieve."

"Well, Genevieve after the day you have had you must be exhausted. Why don't you come with me? I'm on my way home now and I'm quite hungry myself. I have enough at home to feed us both. What do you say?"

"Won't your family be upset you're bringing a strange girl home?"

His whole demeanor changes suddenly, he looks like someone slapped him and all the happiness in his body just deflated and left the shell of a man.

" ...I don't have a family anymore. My wife and baby died in childbirth years ago. So, though it may be selfish of me to say, maybe I need you just as much as you need me. I've always thought it's better to eat with someone than by yourself. Food taste immensely better when you share it I've found."

I watch Falco as he gets up from the ground and dusts himself off. He's a strong man and though he has what my time would be called the 'dad bod' he is by no means out of shape. He has muscled arms and legs, not bulging but obvious enough. Dark caramel skin that most likely sees the sun daily and brown eyes that remind me of maple syrup, they're warm and inviting. His dark brown hair is long and strait, pulled back and tied with a leather strip to keep it from his face. Overall he is a handsome man whose kindness seems to know no bounds.

... Or he's a psycho. But I guess I'm gonna find out.

I nod, smile and take his outstretched hand feeling the calluses he has acquired from his daily work and wrap my fingers around his before he pulls me to my feet.

Maybe he does need me, but I have a feeling I need him far more.