Honey Bread and Memories

"Yes, definitely!"

Okay judging my the boys face I may have been a little too excited for a free sample. But in my defense free samples aren't hugely popular in ancient times. Everyone works hard for everything they have so samples aren't a common occurrence.

You can take the modern girl out of modern times but that doesn't mean she doesn't miss certain modern things. Like free samples, shorts, tennis shoes....

"Here you go. This is our best seller." He hands me the small chunk of bread with a large toothy grin on his face.

I'm all too eager to stuff my face so I do just that. And it is magnificent. It's slightly sweet which isn't all that common.

"It's sweet?"

"We add a small amount of honey to the dough." He explains.

Holy crap why have I not done that? Good Gods woman you're from the future. Use your brain.

I look down at the boy and smile as I swallow my sample. "I'll take five please."

His eyes light up before exclaiming he would get my order right away.

He's a cute kid and it's awesome to see someone happy to be working. It's easy to get sick of it quickly. I'm incredibly lucky Falco makes enough I don't have to. Hence why I don't mind doing the house work. Gotta earn my keep somehow.

He runs back with a few loaves that smell heavenly. "That'll be six silver please!"

I pull my small purse up and grab out the coins. I hand him the coins and take my bread. As I walk out I hear small footsteps rapidly come up behind me.

"Please wait Miss! You gave me eight silvers instead of six."

Wow he's a good kid.

I smile at him, "One's for you and one's for whoever woke up to make the bread. Call it a small thank you for the sample."

He just stares at me for a minute. I know it's not common practice but I see it happen time to time.

"I don't think I can do that Miss. I didn't earn it..."

I bite my cheek and think for a minute. "Do you help your parents in the store?"

"Yes, of course."

"Did you wake up early and help bake the bread?"

"I try to but I have two more years of school so some days I can't..."

I nod, "So you go to school and help out here? Right?"

"When I can. Yes."

"Then you earned the silver."

He opened his hand and stared at the coins for another minute.

I sigh, "I understand it's easy to forget that kindness doesn't come with strings attached. But I truly just think you deserve it. I mean no harm by it. Okay?"

He smiles a little finally, "Okay. But only this once."

That's cute, he thinks I won't do this again...

"Sure, whatever you say." I ruffle his hair a little before turning to leave.

I hear him take off running back into the store before calling out to his mom, "Mom! Look what I got!"

I smile and pick up my pace. If she taught her son his manners she may come out and try to give them back too.

- - - -

I'm walking towards the Ludus in order to give Falco some bread for lunch before going on to Valeria's home and I enjoy just listening to the world around me. It's easy to get lost in my head when I'm alone. But something about today makes me think of before. Of my life before the accident.

Something the modern world seemed to forget was the timeless flow of people living. The sound the wind carries throughout the busy city streets full of bickering and laughter. The smell of dust being kicked up by small feet running past as they come to the end of their make believe adventures and the slight musky scent as a rain storm moves in upon us.

I don't think I could go back. Not only to the man who never cared for me but to the world I left. I don't miss my phone or the lack of empathy people had for each other. I would miss Rome, Falco and I would miss the simple world I have come to love.

The one thing I do miss from my old life is Harper. I miss her warmth at times. I love Falco and Valeria but Harper was the mother I never got to love long enough and have never had since. She loved me, my flaws and my small beauties. I pray daily to whoever is listening that she is well and far far away from my narcissistic "father."

"Gene."

"...Gene."

"Gene! Are you in there?"

I look up coming out of my mental fog to see Falco standing there staring at me like I've finally lost it.

"Oh. Hi Papa!"

I move into his warm embrace and take a deep breath. He smells of fresh herbs and fire. Likely from making poultices and whatever other herbal concoctions he makes those poor men drink. It's a smell that has always calmed me.

Thinking of Harper makes me lonely. I have no control over what happened to her and some days I spend more time pondering over her than I likely should.

"What's going on in that pretty little head today hmm?" He smiles and chuckles as he asks.

I look up at him and smile. "My Mama."

His smile drops and he pulls me back into his chest. "I'm sorry I could never find her for you sweetheart."

I pull him in tighter and nod. I love him so much. He is the best man I have ever known and his heart is pure gold. When I was a small girl he would spend hours whenever he had time asking around our city about any woman with blonde hair or blue eyes that may have been in an accident when I was. He would visit every one of them and ask them if they had any relation to me.

I never had the heart to tell him she wasn't likely going to be found. It gave him something to do to feel as though he was helping me and it did. For a few years I believed maybe she could be out there. Maybe she too got transported back in time?

Sadly the years passed and nothing we did was rewarded so we had to stop. But I never forget how he tried for me or when he would come home to find me sobbing in my room crying out for her how he would console me. He would pick me up and gently brush my hair and rub my back until I could steady my breathing again. Then he would sing me to sleep. Never in a rush to leave me and never acted as though I was an inconvenience to him. He has always had so much love to give.

"You did everything you could and for that I am eternally grateful Papa."

He nods and smiles down at me but I can read him like an open book. He still carries guilt that he couldn't find her.

To change the mood I grab his hand and pull him towards the Ludus with more energy than I normally would.

He laughs and keeps up all too easily. "What has you so excited suddenly?"

I look back at him and smile, "You simply must try the bread I bought this afternoon."