Letter for Belva

I get home long before Falco so I start writing my next letter to Belva. Her 6th anniversary is coming up rather quickly and since I can't visit her right now I want to make sure my letter makes it before the date.

"My dear Belva, how are you? How are my darling little cousins Quintus and Astherielle? I hope they're well. I pray to the Gods nightly that you all keep in good health. Ever since you all moved to Capua I have missed you all so much. Is Aulus doing well with his new post? With two young children, a baby on the way and small battles breaking out near you more often I can only imagine his worries. I hope you enjoy your anniversary and I can't wait to hear from you soon. We have much to discuss!

With all my love,

Genevieve"

While putting away my pen and ink I can't help but think about how Belva is only 20 and has such a large family. Her husband, Aulus, has blessed her already with two darling children. Quintus is as much a handful as his father and Astherielle seems to take after Belva, she's quiet and mindful. They're almost exact copies of their parents. I wonder if this third baby will be the same? I keep hoping they'll get a bit of a mix honestly.

I find it all so crazy because the thought of marriage still makes me want to crawl under my bed and hide. I'm happy as long as she is happy though, that's all that matters. She seems to adore motherhood and it looks well on her I must admit.

"Gene? Where are you?"

"My room Papa!"

I hear some shuffling before I see him. "You're home early today, everything okay?"

"It is, but you would never guess what I heard today."

"Oh?" Why do I have that sinking feeling this has to do with me?

"Apparently my daughter came by my work today and not only didn't ask if that was alright but she didn't come see me while she was there. I simply overhead Adriano heckling Sina about him acting rather odd before I left."

Yup. There it is. The sinking feeling.

"Papa I can explain the reason I didn't ask or come by. You see, I saw Adriano out earlier and he was in a rush and needed someone to go with Gloria-"

"Gene I have very few rules. Usually you have no issue following them so all I ask is next time please come tell me you're there. I thought you were here all day. What if something had happened?"

Ah man, I hate it when he goes and uses logic like that...

I look down at my feet, "I'm sorry. I will make sure to tell you next time for sure."

"Good girl, I appreciate it. It's only for your safety sweetie. I'm not as large and intimidating as Adriano. Men don't fear me."

They should. You're the guy with the knives and utensils that sew them up... That's a solid reason to have healthy respect or fear in my mind...

"Yes, I understand." I say as I look up.

... Wait why is he smiling?

"...Wha-"

"But from what Adriano said I imagine if anyone causes any issues Sina will handle it for me. Sounds like the poor boy is wrapped around your finger after only a lunch together."

There it is. His evil side. The side that never lets me live anything down.

"PAPA. NOT FUNNY."

"No, it's hilarious. You just can't see it." He turns and walks out of my doorway toward the kitchen and I get up and follow.

There is absolutely no way this is even a little bit funny, let alone hilarious.

He smiles at me as he picks up an apple to eat. "I mean, you're the only woman in Rome that I've met that is so passionately against marriage-"

"I'm not against marriage, I just haven't met the right guy."

He nods his head and chuckles. "And the man who has women quite literally drooling at his feet finds the one woman he wants to get to know and she turned him down like he has a missing appendage."

"And?"

"And that's Funny Gene."

I shake my head, turn and walk away from him. "I don't think so at all. If anything it's odd, love at first sight?"

"Is this a Disney movie or something?" I mumble under my breath too low for him to hear.

I hear Falco laugh at me before replying goodnight.

- - - -

I wake up late the next morning.

Likely due to the fact I kept dreaming about a certain pair of golden eyes attached to a body I'm pretty sure Apollo himself may be jealous of. Hair as black as the moonless night, his olive skin tone makes him look like a sun god, and when he smirks I forget my own name. Add in his deep voice and everyone is lucky I remembered to breath most the time.

I stretch out my sore muscles and get up and get dressed. Today is already quite warm so I grab a light white tunic to wear. On days like today I would kill for some shorts.

I braid my long hair to one side to keep it out of the way and put on my simple golden chain necklace.

Simple and as comfy as it gets without looking like a slob.

I eat a little fruit and start out toward Valeria's home. She would likely be sending a servant soon with items for the new baby if she doesn't go herself. I imagine she will let me add my letter along with the other items.

As I'm walking to Valeria's the most heavenly sent of fresh bread reaches my nose. I stop and turn around to locate the wonderful smell and notice the small bakery Gloria had introduced me to the other day.

I can't possible pass up fresh bread? Right? I mean, for Falco of course. He deserves only the best.

I walk into the small store front and take a long deep breath just inhaling the absolutely amazing smell now surrounding me when I hear him. The most amazing sound I may have ever heard...

"Would you like a free sample?"

I could kiss this man. Right here. Right now.