"Thank you," I said, feeling a large smile take over my face.

"No problem."

Walking side by side with Nolan in this part of the forest felt different. All the other times we held hands before was for him to literally lead me by the hand to the open clearing. They weren't quite like the leisurely stroll we were taking now, especially since I had to go a lot slower in case of tree roots or rocks.

For some reason, I found myself smiling down at my feet, even though I could barely see them.

Suddenly, he said, "There's a rock in front of you."

Tugging my hand, he pulled me to him, so that the side of my arm bumped into his.

"Oh, thanks," I said, following him as he moved to the left.

After what felt like a particularly long time, we finally stepped into the usual clearing.

It seemed more serene than usual. I didn't know if my increased appreciation was because I knew that this was my last night here, but I just loved how fresh the crisp air felt tonight in my lungs. Even the distant owl hooting seemed to create a melodious harmony with the chirping of the crickets.

I loved the way the stars mapped the exceptionally clear night sky with their twinkling beauty.

I didn't realize how much warmth Nolan was bringing me until he released my hand. Despite being wrapped up in my thick hoodie and sweatpants, I shivered when cold air replaced his presence beside me.

"It's just as well that I stop coming here for a while, anyway. It's really getting colder," I said, shoving my hands into the large pocket on the front of my hoodie.

"Why didn't you bring your gloves?" he said, glancing over at me.

I shrugged and unfolded the plastic sheet I'd kept after he gave it to me the first time. "I forgot how much colder it gets at night."

"Do you want to borrow my jacket?"

Confused, I smiled at him. "What? But then you'd be freezing, right?"

"I'll be fine," he said, settling down on the grass beside me. "You can have it if you need it."

"No," I hurried to say, when he began to take it off, "I'm okay, thanks. I am still wearing my own hoodie."

I didn't want him to freeze on account of keeping me warm.

Nolan's questioning gaze seemed to turn slightly skeptical. "Are you sure? I saw you shiver just now."

That was when he just let go of my hand. My face grew hot as I turned away from him.

"Yeah, I'm sure," I said. "It isn't winter yet. I won't turn into an icicle."

"You want?"

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed something appear on my right. I glanced down at the spare pair of binoculars he was offering me.

"No, thanks," I said, shaking my head. "I just want to take in the quiet atmosphere tonight."

He stowed it back in his fanny pack. "Alright."

It felt so good to stretch my arms upwards under the open night sky. A contented sigh left my throat as I crossed my legs. I was going to miss all of this.

Mildly surprised when Blue appeared in a flutter of wings and landed on Nolan's lap, I beamed at him.

"Hey, Blue!"

"Hi, Blue," Nolan said, reaching down with a finger to pet Blue on the head. "Tonight's the last time you'll be seeing Chelsea in a while."

"I'll miss relaxing in the forest, but I'll miss you even more," I told Blue. "I promise I'll come back once the exams end."