Chapter 13

Ali hung up the phone after leaving a voicemail for Sam. It was rare he didn't pick up when she called, but he had spent the afternoon with Charlie and his cousin liked his "bro time". Despite Charlie's carefree attitude, the younger man had a good heart. He also knew how to get Sam to open up and relax. The two were like brothers, egging each other on in escapades of silliness.

At one point, they were each other's wingmen, churning through the swankiest clubs New York had to offer. The partying changed for Sam when he met Ali, but Charlie didn't seem interested in adapting to any new modi operandi. His love life lacked anything even remotely related to love and was more like a revolving buffet of tall, blonde, slightly vapid women. All with a shelf life of about 2 months. As a relationship expiry date approached, Charlie would increase the clubbing and start his social distancing campaign.

Of course, there was always the potential Charlie had landed himself and her fiancée in jail or some other ridiculous situation. It would not be the first time. Ali dismissed the thought. Sam was hopefully off having fun. He would tell her all about later this evening.

After Ali got back from dinner at her parent's house.

Dinner with her mother. And Jack.

This time Ali didn't even consider knocking on the front door. She walked right in, announcing herself in the empty foyer with a "Mom, I'm home." It felt completely unnatural but the right thing to do.

There was a thud off to her right, followed by two muffled voices, one high pitched and the other sounding like Jack. She recognized the stern, demanding tone. So it wasn't surprising when a door opened and her ex-husband strode out like he owned the place. Although his attitude was nonchalant, his usually immaculate dress shirt was marred by wrinkles and looked like it had been roughly tucked into his pants.

It brought back memories of their trysts in closets at the club, Jack pushing her up against the wall, his hands clawing at her skirt. His urgent needs being met. Ali stepped back in disgust at the approaching man and the past atrocities he inflicted upon her. Old defences built around her out of habit, walls shielding her, whispering 'never let them see'.

But Jack always saw. Sensing her discomfort, he flashed his wicked grin. Other women loved this smile. Ali hated it. When she was his wife, the smirk represented his control over her.

Then Ali remembered she wasn't Jack Blackhorne's wife anymore. His powers were useless, voided. Finding her footing, Ali stepped forward, towards her nemesis.

"Jack. We need to talk."

"Alexandria," he purred. "You look positively ravishing tonight. A new dress by that designer friend of yours... What was his name again?"

Ali tried not to sneer. "I'm not here to talk about my wardrobe, Jack. I want to discuss what's going on-"

"Oh, darling, you're here," Lynn Stinson cried from the top of the stairs. Both Ali and Jack turned to look at her, saying "yes" at the same time.

A pain stabbed at Ali's stomach. Her mother did have a habit of calling everyone darling, but her tone felt... intimate. Another brick slotted into the wall Ali built around herself. She reminded herself she didn't need her mother's affections.

Ali regarded Jack who moved toward a descending Lynn, taking her hand for the last few steps.

"Shall we do drinks in the front room before dinner?" Her mother made it sound like a question, but the woman was already moving, Jack in hand, leaving no room for discussion.

Ali wasn't having it. "Mother. I need to speak to Jack." Two sets of blue eyes, one ice-cold, the other distant, regarded her like she was a child having a temper tantrum. Ali ignored their insinuation and continued, "It's about the company."

"Dear, can it wait until tomorrow. It's been a long day." Her mother tilted her head in a dramatic physical expression of her weariness, her face falling, pleading for acquiescence. Jack tutted in agreement.

"No."

The look Lynn blasted Ali was anything but lethargic. It was hostile. More bricks clamoured around Ali's heart, fortifying the barricade. 'Don't let them know they can hurt you,' these ones said.

"Can we at least have a drink?" she asked, bitterness lacing her words.

"Sure," Ali relented. Sometimes compromise was the best way forward. Besides, at this point, she could use one.

As they moved to the classic golden Stinson Studios couches, Jack offered to make a round of martinis. Over the years, this formal room had been redecorated countless times, but these antiques were a staple. Ali positioned herself beside her mother, occupying one of the couches. It was a conscious choice to force some physical distance between her and Jack. There was something in her mother's actions around Jack that gnawed at Ali. She could not quite put her finger on it.

"I saw Nora today," Ali jumped in, not bothering to wait for Jack to finish with the drinks.

"Oh, how is she? I haven't seen her in forever." Lynn seemed almost interested.

"Never changes. Everyone asked about dad." It was time to remind this room about his existence.

Sorrow or pain sank into her mother's face. Ali immediately felt bad for her sharp words. Placing a hand on her mother's, she added, "They all send their best wishes for a speedy recovery."

Lynn's face brightened a little. "How nice of them."

Ali considered pressing pause on her plan. Now she was up close with her mother, her exhaustion felt more real, present in the makeup coagulating in the bags under her eyes, the spidery red veins in the whites of her eyes, the dry, cracked lips from wearing to much all-day lipstick.

During the day at the hospital, Lynn seemed peppy. Ali wondered what it was like for her at night. No one but Jack to ease her burden. Was she sleeping? Was she eating? Was she drinking?

When times got rough, when another of the fertility treatments failed yet again, her mother would turn to alcohol to drown her disappointment and sorrow. It would be weeks of finding her mother passed out on this very couch, martini glass clutched to her breast like a newborn baby. Times were certainly rough these days. Lynn was without her husband. For the first time in her life, her mother was alone.

This was something the two had in common now. When Jack left, Ali found herself very much alone. After years of Jack coordinating her every move, she could barely get dressed in the morning. What would it be like after decades? With Jack her only option, Ali was starting to see why her mother might lean on him.

The man in question interrupted her thoughts. "Probably worried about their jobs."

Ali felt heat spike up her spine. She turned and raged on him, "Why? My father always looks after his employees."

Her mother patted Ali's arm. "Alexandria, please. Jack knows this. But... things have been ... difficult with the business lately. Sales are down."

"It's true." Jack backed up her mother.

"Then why are we launching a new product line?" Ali threw her words at him.

Jack's eyes shifted to her mother and then back to Ali. "How do you know that?"

"I took a tour of our warehouse." Ali emphasized the 'our'. "Talked to a few of the workers. Took care of some business."

She had Jack's full attention now. He leaned forward in his seat, steepling his long, lean fingers before him. He tried to give an air of casual confidence yet Ali knew the signs. The rigid stance, the stare, the twitching vein in his neck hidden behind those manicured hands.

"Business? What business did you take care of, Alexandria?" Jack spat at her.