Chapter 30

Leaning against the cold steel wall of the elevator, Ali closed her eyes and shifted her weight to her right leg. Her feet hurt from the new shoes she had put on this morning when she thought it would be a light day with little walking.

Boy had she been wrong.

She was late getting home. Mid-afternoon a woman came into the shelter and time slipped away. Tea was made and Ali sat beside her on the sofa, encouraged her to tell her story. Talking usually helped. It also aided in the assessment needed to determine the type of assistance required and what the shelter could provide. Sometimes the police were called if it became apparent charges were a possibility.

Today the police were not needed. Still, the conversation reverberated through Ali. It was too close, too soon after the incident with Noah. Shivers ran down her spine when she thought about telling Sam the details.

After it happened, she had picked up the phone and called Sam immediately. It had gone straight to voicemail. This was not something you told your boyfriend in a message. When she became aware of her surroundings after fleeing the café, she found herself almost at the shelter and decided to wait to talk to Sam in person.

It had started out as a beautiful day in New York City. Waking up in her own bed had been marvellous and showering, with Sam, in their own bathroom had been nothing short of glorious. Brenda's resorts were beautifully appointed with top-of-the-line furniture and fixtures, but there was nothing like one's own place. One's home.

Sam had arranged for a breakfast meet and greet at a community center in the district Leif was running in. The would-be congressman was starting to garner large crowds at these events, a testament to his no-nonsense policies, hard-working attitude and friendly approach. Leif answered even the hardest questions honestly and transparently. If he didn't know the answer, he promised to find one.

And if the answer was a tough one, he didn't shy away. The result was a measured increase in the respect of the people he needed to vote for him.

After the event, Sam had wanted to check in on the Harrington Foundation. Ali popped out of the limo a few blocks from the shelter, with the idea of picking up treats for the volunteers. The little café on the corner was busy even though it was well before lunch. Most of the marble-topped bistro tables were occupied by yummy mommies and the odd university student, identifiable by the laptop and slightly stressed expressions.

As she stood in line trying to decide between cupcakes or tarts, a deep baritone called her name.

"Ali?"

Back in New York less than twenty-four hours and she had to bump into Noah. Since his mistaken attempt to kiss her last winter, Ali had barely spoken to him. Sam hadn't exactly asked her to never see the man again, but she got the impression he would have liked to. For her part, the liberties Noah took with their friendship became more evident upon reflection. Distance from Noah was mutually beneficial.

Yet here he stood before her, dressed head to toe in white, making his dark skin almost gleam in the bright light of the café. "It is you."

"Hello, Noah. How are you?"

Stuffing hands into his pockets, he grinned at her, flashing pearly whites that matched his outfit. "Fine, fine. Thanks for asking. You look... well as stunning as ever."

Always the charmer, Noah liked to compliment women on their looks as a way to ingratiate himself to them. Waitresses had beautiful eyes; store clerks had elegant hands. Ali had been immune to his attempts from the day she met him. Yet it was his habit.

The person in line moved up to the counter and Ali stepped away from Noah to close the gap.

"Hey Ali," he started, bobbing on the balls of his feet. "Could I... I mean do you... have a moment? Can you stop for a coffee?" Ali opened her mouth to deny his request when he said softly, "Please."

Holding in a sigh, Ali nodded. Noah suggested he'd grab a table and Ali offered to get their drinks. After ordering a dozen cupcakes and two coffees, Ali sat at the small bistro table by the widow Noah had secured.

"So... how have you been?" Noah asked, nudging his chair closer to her and the table. His knee brushed up against hers and Ali twisted in her seat to remove the contact.

"I've been out of town for a bit. Only got back in yesterday."

"You don't say. Summers in New York can be unbearably hot. Go anywhere nice?"

"Not really." Ali was not interested in getting into the whole my father died conversation. "How about you?"

Noah tapped sugar from a paper packet into his coffee cup and slowly stirred the dark liquid. "Things have been a bit slow. But I've found a hot new artist that's going to be on everyone's wish list soon. His paintings are inspired."

"That's great."

"Yeah." Another packet of sugar went into the coffee and Noah glanced out the window. "Do you want to come down to the gallery and take a look? The light at this time of day is perfect."

Ali almost choked on her coffee. "Ah, maybe some other time. I've got plans today." She indicated the box of baked goods.

"Oh right." Noah seemed reluctant to go on. He gazed into the cup on the table before him.

"You wanted to talk?" Ali prompted.

Noah jerked at her words. "Um, yeah." He drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly. Shuffling his chair even closer to Ali, Noah bent forward. "I feel bad about what happened. You know in the office that day."

Ali shook her head. She had temporarily moved out of the apartment, angry at Sam for a multitude of miscommunications. Noah had been one of the few people she knew in New York during that period and besides spending most of the work day with him, they had been spent quite a lot of time together in the evenings. Unbeknownst to Ali, Noah thought it was over with Sam. He had made a move on her, surprised her with an attempted kiss.

"Oh, I...," Ali didn't know what to say.

Noah's eyes darted to the window again, flashing the glass a smile. Reaching out he tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear before he leaned in and placed his mouth close to her cheek. "It was wrong."

Ali pulled away from him, banging her elbow on the window. "Yes, well..."

"Say you'll forgive me?"

"Sure. Water under the bridge." Ali tried to create more space between them.

"Excellent." The grin was back. "So glad we can be friends again."

"Friends sure." She wasn't sure she wanted to be his friend anymore but wasn't about to explain it right now. "I really should be going."

She started gathering up her things. Noah pulled back to give her space and knocked into the table. His coffee cup clattered and some of the dark liquid splashed over the side onto the marble and a few drops hit Ali's skirt.

"Damn," she exclaimed, dabbing at the stained material with her napkin.

"You should treat that right away. Wouldn't want to ruin this lovely ensemble, pet." Noah nodded in the direction of the back of the café. "The bathrooms are over there. I'll watch your stuff."

A few minutes later, as Ali walked out of the bathroom she bumped into a wall of muscle. "Oh, Noah. What- "

She didn't get to finish her statement. In one swift motion, the man used his body to smother her against the wall behind her and crushed his mouth against hers.

Ruby Red 3 - A Romance for All Time (Complete)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara