Chapter 13: How Thor Found Out

(This is not my chapter and the credit of the characters goes to their respective authors)

"Perseus!" called Thor, a hearty grin on his face, "this brew is most excellent!"

Across the bar counter, Percy gave his friend a smile as he busied himself with pouring his customers his drinks. The bartender was in a good mood, and had a good reason – he was getting good business, his good friend Thor was here, and in four days Nick would be getting back from his three week long mission in Argentina. Humming cheerfully, he passed down the drinks – for his regulars it was a group of Nike's Valour's, Sultan of the Skies' and a few regular beers. "It's the same as always, Thor. Just 'Talons.'" He told the God of Thunder, motioning to the now empty glass of brandy.

"Yes, but I find it most pleasing!" Thor said to him, eyes twinkling. "Another!" He raised his arm out of habit, but a glare from Percy made him freeze.

"Don't you dare," the bartender said, tone dark. He'd learned his lesson when Thor had unthinkingly smashed one of his best glasses in a drunken stupor as a gesture of appreciation. The Asgardian now had a firm understanding that Midgardian culture did not consider smashed glassware a well-meaning sign.

Thor gently placed the glass on the counter and twiddled his thumbs as he waited for his friend to refill it. As the amber dark amber liquid swirled in the glass, Thor watched the other occupants on the bar. It was half-full and had the smoky smell of a bar of conversation and relaxation. He knew that by now he was a regular sight for most of the regulars, and when he was sure that they were all engaged in their activities, he leaned forward to catch Percy's attention.

"I will be leaving for a time," he said in a low voice.

"Oh?" One of Percy's eyebrows arched towards the ceiling. "Returning home for a while?"

"Yes. There are some matters that require my input, and the court is getting restless in my absence."

Percy made a face, but nodded and smiled at his friend. "Ah, politics. But you just do what you must. The bar will be open to you when you return."

The Asgardian prince grinned, relieved that he would have somewhere to retreat to after an exhausting visit, no doubt.

Percy left the topic for something more lighthearted, and gave Thor a confiding smirk. "So, guess what I overheard last week..."
————
Thor had been right – the trip to Asgard was very arduous indeed. It was late at night when he finally arrived back on Midgard with a roll of thunder and flash of light. He'd landed just outside the city in order to disturb less people, and standing there in the middle of the still landscape he decided that his urge for a drink and company far exceeded his need for rest. He flew swiftly to New York, coming to a quiet halt at the end of Bourbon Street. He walked the few blocks between him and Percy's bar – only to frown at the darkened windows and tightly shut door. It was not terribly late, so there was no reason for people not to be at the tavern.

Well, if Percy was not here he must be at his flat. Feeling worry tickle at the back of his mind, he took off with a swing of Mjolnir and settled down in the back alley behind Percy's apartment.

The windows were dark here as well. Furrowing his brow, Thor crept around to the front step and peered through the windows in the door. He felt a bit odd doing so, and knew he was definitely invading Percy's personal space, but he was starting to become concerned.

Sitting by the hutch were Percy's boots, a familiar pair of comfortable leather boots. His coat was also hung on the hook nearby, so the bartender was home. But, something was wrong...

There! An unfamiliar coat was slung neatly over the back of a chair in the kitchen, something that he could just barely see. Percy was fond of only have one or two of each thing, so Thor knew pretty much them all – and that coat was not one of them.