Chapter 4: How Bruce Met Him

(This is not my chapter and the credit of the characters goes to their respective authors)

It was a Sunday morning and Bruce was at his usual volunteer clinic, helping the people who walked in seeking aid. It had been a relatively normal day, with scraped knees, sore throats, a dislocated shoulder and severe case of athletes foot, but until there was a knock on his door at 11:13 a.m. It opened to reveal a blonde haired teenager gripping the hand of a meek brunette the same age as her. The blonde marched her friend right into his examination room and told him bluntly, "My name is Laura and this is my friend Jesse."

Bruce put down the book on quantum physics Tony had given him and turned to face then, giving them an easy smile. "Hello, Laura, Jesse, I am Dr. Banner. What do I need to help you with?"

Laura glanced at her friend, who was staring demurely at her shoes, and took the lead. "Jesse is my best friend," she said seriously, looking him in the eye. "So I figured I should come to a doctor, and this place was closest. Will you promise not to tell anyone unless we let you?"

Bruce was taken aback, but nodded. "Of course."

Laura huffed in satisfaction. "Good. Jesse, you should probably tell him." She put a supportive hand on her friend's shoulder.

Jesse rubbed her hands together shyly - no not shyly, but fearfully, and immediately Bruce's instincts were on guard. "Um," she twisted her fingers, "my family, they don't really like me, and um..."

And Bruce's good mood flew out the window, replaced with a tightly controlled rage. He really didn't like child abuse, and that was exactly what this was. He had seen it often enough to be able to tell.

"It's alright," he said softly, giving her a smile. "Let's get you checked out."
————
An hour and a half later Bruce stepped out of the clinic's back door and into the alleyway. Taking a deep breath, he leaned against the brick wall and stared up at the sky. He had just sent Jesse and Laura off, patching up any bruises and scratches Jesse had and giving his number to Laura in case they needed anything else. He had also told her the name of a good social worker he knew, a Mr. R. Jong who would help Jesse in any way he could if she wanted, and where to find him. He had done everything could, but it still didn't feel like enough...

Now that the two teenage girls were gone the simmering anger locked away was now rising to the surface with a vengeance, and it brought the Hulk with it.
Sensing the other guy's grumbling, Bruce attempted to calm himself. They both knew he wasn't in any danger, but the fury he felt often woke up the Hulk. Feeling a little bit of green start to creep across him and his muscles start to bulk up, he grit his teeth and tried to meditate a little, even if it was just enough to still the Hulk for a couple minutes. Normally back in the Tower he'd go find a quiet room and light a few scented candles and take reassurance in his friends' constant presence, but he'd have to do without now.

But, unfortunately, it seems like the Hulk didn't feel like being complacent today. As he struggled against the change, his legs buckled and he slid to the ground, holding his breath. He shivered for a few seconds, until a concerned voice spoke out from the alley entrance.

"Are you alright?"

Bruce jerked in surprise, and in his shock the Hulk advanced a little further, causing him to shudder and his eyes to flash green.

He heard a soft 'ah,', then nearly unnoticeable footsteps, and the man was suddenly crouching beside him, a mass of grocery bags in his arms. He looked Bruce in the eyes and smiled winningly. With a start Bruce realized that the man's eyes were just as green as the Hulk's. "You seem to be in a bit of tough spot," he said casually, taking in his rippling skin and changing irises. "I have a place you can, uh, cool down at, if you need to."