24) Meri Behna? I hate her

Start from the beginning

'Janvi drop the act, drop this charade for once. Stop pretending to be happy. I can see through you.'

I removed his hand from mine, really getting uncomfortable with the words, 'I don't understand sab ki problem kya hai. Last time I had a fight with my sister, I cried for days and weeks and fell into depression eventually. That time all of you told me to stop crying. Now that I'm actually okay, not wanting to be bothered by the past, you guys want me to cry? Why? What good would that bring to anyone.'

Paa looked at me with moist eyes, 'Janvi, you cannot keep it all in you and build walls around you. This all will eventually hurt you.'

I scoffed, startling him, 'Everything has to eventually hurt me only. Right. That's the bottom line about every problem.' I stood up and faced the river Ganga, 'Janvi toh sensitive hai yaar, Janvi toh hamesha roti hai, Janvi weak hai right.'

My father sighed, looking at me while I continued, 'I am really tired. Tired of having to handle everything on my own. Tired to carry all the relationships with everyone on my back.' I faced him, a sad smile etching my face, 'Aur ye sab karke kya mila muje? Eventually everyone left, like how it is.'

My father stood up, frustrated as he walked towards me, 'You are the strongest person I've ever known. Stronger than your mother too. And if she'd be here, she'd be so proud of what you've become.'

Tears welled in his eyes as he remembered his youthful days, while I sighed, 'How would I know? You've apparently decided to keep everything from me. Everything I truly loved has always been away from me, Paa. I loved my mothers, they left, I loved my Bade Paa, he left. I loved my sister, she left.' I held his arm, 'And you? You decided the best thing for me. Keep so many secrets from me that I feel like a stranger now.'

'Aisa nahi hai, jaan,'

'That is how it is. That's how I feel.' I withdrew my hand from his arm, facing the river again, 'I have always told you everything happening in my life. Always. My first periods, my first crush, my first date, my fun, my misdeeds, my drama and all my fears and insecurities.' Tears started to well up in my eyes as I faced my dad, pointing my finger at him, 'Tell me, have I ever kept anything from you? Anything?'

He shook his head, his tears had already fallen on the ground, as I took a deep breath to control myself from crying, 'Then how could you hide so many things from me, dad. How could you. Mom's cancer. You leaving musician career to raise me. That I'm an official Vadhera. And I don't even know what else you've been hiding.'

'Janvi, meri baat...'

'No Paa. You've hurt me.' A tear finally dropped from my eye, 'Mansi ko main maaf kar sakti hu. Woh nadaan thi. And apne jagah sahi.' I said, meaning everything, 'But aap? You're big right. A father? My father! Toh itna sabkuch chupa kaise liya mujse.'

He walked towards me but I stopped him, hurriedly wiping my tears, 'Please. If you want to list all the excuses then don't. Anyway, I know the truth now and it's no use talking about the past because it'll just hurt all of us again.'

I walked past him towards the exit, 'And Paa,'

He turned to face me, regret and guilt across his face, 'Haan?'

'I don't want to celebrate my birthday tomorrow. No nothing applies to you too. That's all I want from my birthday this year. Some peace.' Saying that, I left, angry and hurt by everything all over again.

How could my father hide so many things from me.

How could my bade papa stay away from me for all these years.

And how could my sister believe her backstabbing boyfriend over me.

All these questions didn't have an answer, they only carried hurt and hence I decided best to live my life normally. No more crying, no more tears and no more pain.