8) Meri Behna? Fixed my soul

Ultimate fam playlist: Allah Wariyan (Yaariyan)

Janvi's Pov

Subtle hints of our lives as cousins have always been a reminder of the love of the most ultimate sisters.

Like, my name is actually Jahnvi, the H is silent, and it is a reminder of the silent H in Hrishikesh.

Mansi's name has an extra 'a', so it's Maansi, the 'a' belongs to my mother's name Maanvi.

The fact that I call Mansi, Mannu, is because I've heard my my badi maa call the same to my mother or the fact that Mansi often does what she wants is because of my mother's influence.

She loves baking because my maa loved baking and I've been told they were always baking together.

I'm doing LLB, because I clearly remember my bade Papa wanting me to be a lawyer after him when I was small.

But there were so many other things that had no reasoning or were hidden. So many maybes and so many what ifs.

Like the family picture we saw in the store room, that big happy family where everyone was candidly happy.

But Mansi was with my mother, Veer with my father and I was with my bade ma and paa. Which is really questioning because even though we were close to them but wouldn't for a family photo they'd be with their actual biological kids?

I'd really need to know the story behind that picture.

Because my parents, both pairs, looked so beautiful, so happy. My Paa had Veer on his shoulders, Mansi with my mother and my badi maa held me.

Why couldn't they be here together? Why couldn't I have two mothers? What made my fathers separate?

I couldn't discuss this with Mansi because after I helped her with the wound, she excused herself. Something was off about her because later that night she didn't spare me another look.

Right now as I sat on the lawn chair, my mind kept leaping to the store room. If one picture could be so painful, how in the world would we rummage through everything else?

My phone rang and Manav's name made me feel better already, 'Hey'

'Hey Jaan, I'm missing you.'

'Right, me too. I don't feel so good here.'

Manav could sense my fears, 'Janvi? Kya hua.'

And my waterworks started, my tears choking my voice, 'I am okay.'

'Right, aur kuch?'

Then I sobbed, my hand on my mouth as Manav held the call without interrupting my tears. As I sat outside the house, everything came back to me. It has been two weeks in this house but I didn't feel welcomed.

I didn't feel good in real sense. Like there was something off about everyone. They were mad at what I did five years ago and honestly I didn't have the energy to go pacify everyone.

Glad that they were really supportive of Mansi, but it hurt when all of them didn't spare me glances of love or concern. I missed my Paa terribly, I missed Manav and my Dabbu mama.

I couldn't believe I was getting homesick.

Moreover watching my parents alive and happy made me miserable than ever. It kept coming back to me, all the memories, all the good things, all the happy moments.

And then two lifeless bodies of my mothers.

Bloodied, wrapped and dead.

That thought made my stomach hurl every time, making me feel pukish, 'Jaan, sweetie, listen to me.'