They rushed forward with ropes, as my heart sank.

"What I meant is, is how do you know it's controlled by anybody?" I struggled trying to pull my wrists out his hand. My attempt to stall failed and the guards wrapped the ropes around my ankles beneath me. They tugged me toward the post.

"Wait! Wait! You say nobody's defeated it yet?" The guards paused.

He only sneered back at me raising the whip to strike at her again.

"I will defeat it!" I turned to the people. "I will defeat it! I swear on my life, I'll bring you its head! Just give me a chance! Don't kill this girl!"

They stared at me clearly unimpressed. They looked defeated, sad, and tired as if they'd been through this many a time before. I cursed at the king mentally.

"You?" He laughed turning to the crowd. "You think she'll save you from the danger of the Ryzac? This mere girl? The amount of men we've lost at sea is because of the creature dying before you. Your family's and friend's deaths out at sea are because of that witch. " He raised his whip in the direction of the girl who'd grown silent.

"Tie her up." He gestured to me with a snarl.

"Wait! Wait!" I cried, but it was useless. They tied my wrists to the pole opposite the girl. He raised his whip. I shut my eyes, and waited for the pain.

I peaked one eye open to see Leon, Alcott and Terrowin standing in front of me, their backs turned.

"We have some very important business to do with this woman, if you'd please." Leon spoke to the soldier.

"What are palace guards such as yourselves doing out in Ersa?" the soldier folded his arms over his chest.

"That information is to remain private as it is of concern to no lowly stationary guard such as yourself." Terrowin piped up, his hands on his hips. I almost smiled.

I could see the soldier's irritation from here. Alcott turned and untied my wrists and ankles from the posts. I stood up and held onto the post.

"We shall leave now." He grabbed my arm tugging me to Leon and Terrowin.

"No!" I hissed under my breath. "We can't just leave her here, they're going to kill her!"

"Julian will kill us if we are here for any longer! They'll be suspicious! Now lets go!" Alcott tugged at my arm.

I held fast to the post, my other arm wrapping around the wood. Leon shook his head, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. He turned back to the soldier.

"The witch will come with us as well." Alcott began to undo her binds.

"No." The soldier started forward, the other's coming up after him. "This witch has caused havoc, destruction and death and this village. We'll not let her go."

"Why do you think she's got anything to do with it?" I asked exasperatedly. "I mean if she is such a powerful witch, don't you think she'd be able to get out of those binds and attack you all?"

"Not one soldier's been able to defeat the Ryzac. She's the only magick user in this area, unaligned with the King as well. She has to be the one controlling it." The soldier glared at us shaking his head.

"I'll do it then. Give me a chance. I swear to you I'll kill it. When I do, you must release her." I looked at Leon and the pair. They shook their heads at me, their eyes wide.'

I shook my head back at them, making it clear I wasn't going to leave her. Sighing Leon spoke up.

"If she is able to do it, we'll take the witch to the King. She will swear the oath to align under him." I knew the image they'd have to uphold. I knew as the King's guard they'd have a higher rank than those. But it would only go so far. They had little power over these guards.

"Very well." The big soldier said. The guards came forward and untied the girl and my heartbeat finally regulated.

"But I will give you one day. One day, or we'll kill the girl as she stands. And you don't get the assistance of the men you stand with." The soldier said with a smile. My heart sank again.

They unchained her from the post and she collapsed, vomiting. They led her away and the crowd dissolved as people went back to their work.

"What am I going to do?" I said dropping to my knees on the stone.

"Come along men," the soldier called back for Leon, Alcott, and Terrowin. They turned back to me sympathetically.

"Find Julian. He's with the Prince. He couldn't come because they'd have recognized the Prince with him." Terrowin said, keeping his voice low.

"But he said I couldn't get any help." I hated the agitation in my voice.

"He said you couldn't get help from us, not Julian." Leon said. "Hurry now, you've only got a day from now!" They walked off towards the guards.

I got up, my heart in my throat. Twenty four hours, had never seemed so short.