Chapter 7

I was bouncing on the rump of the horse as the bear knight and his group travelled across a green countryside. For the most part, the men traveled exchanging obscene jokes and trading insults with one another. The bear knight was at the back of the group, so that no one was behind me. They seemed to have forgotten about me. That was fine because I really didn't want any attention on me, especially since I was planning my escape.

    I came to the conclusion that I was being kidnapped, and that the villagers were in a cult. Although how I didn't know that a cult lived across the forest didn't make sense to me. The cult leader was the 'king' they spoke about. He probably lost the sword in the forest and said that it was stolen, which would explain why I was being branded as a thief.  

    My plan was simple. Because I was bouncing up and down on the horse's rear end while we were traveling, my binds to the horse were getting looser. I was right next to the bear knight's saddle bag, which I'm sure he'd carry a knife in. What kind of soldier wouldn't? Anyways, with that knife I'd cut my binds and roll off. They wouldn't even notice.

    "Men! Listen clear! We will take the Aswerian route west then travel north following the Meriden River. At dusk we make camp by the Ulyrican border!" the lead knight I was now calling Scar, said to his men. He'd been quiet until now.

    Really? So there were now nicknames for parts of Maine? I don't ever remember learning about a Meriden River or an Ulyrican Border. Come to think of it, I don't ever remember Maine ever looking like this. At all.

      We were traveling on an old dirt road passing by hills and small forests. I peered into the trees, and sometimes my eyes would play the same tricks on me.  I would see those animals and creatures staring out at me. I closed my eyes to keep from going crazy and to stop the dirt from getting into my eye that the horses kicked up.

  My plans would have to change completely now that I knew we were stopping. I would either have to cut myself free before dusk, or after when we'd camped, which would make it much harder since I'd be under heavy surveillance. It was either now or never, I decided.

    I was now able to twist under the rope binding me to the horse because of my thin waist. I moved so that I faced the back of the bear knight, whereas previously, I had been flat on my stomach. My stomach, which was growling profusely. I haven't eaten since yesterday morning. I moved my conjoined hands toward the saddlebag which was now flapping open freely.

    I knew it. As the flap jumped open, I caught sight of the hilt of a knife. This was my chance.

"How does our little Red fare back with you, Leon?" Scar turned his head back to the bear knight. I froze. He leaned over to the side to get a better glimpse of me. I looked away, pretending to be watching the scenery around us. Leon grunted in response.

"I know that look, Red." He told me to turn back to the front. "She's thinking of escaping. Alcott, Terrowin, go around back and stay behind Leon." He nodded to the two knights that came around back and rode behind me.

Shit.

I was going to have to escape after we stopped. I didn't think I had the energy for it now anyways. I was hungry, thirsty, and exhausted. I decided to rest my eyes for a second.

I woke up to the sound of rushing water. I looked around. It seemed to be late afternoon as the sun was near the horizon. To the right of me down a small grassy slope ran a long winding body of water I assumed to be the Meriden River. The group was now quiet, the sounds of nature a loud backdrop to the journey. I sighed against the cloth and turned my head to the back. Alcott and Terrowin sat atop their horses looking ahead fiercely, as if they were determined not to look my way. I turned back.