xx| 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙵𝚘𝚞𝚛 |xx

Start from the beginning

I still didn't understand how it worked. I had read books over most subjects, but I never asked to read the Professors' notes on cloning and brain-information transfers. I doubted that the agency wanted anyone to know about their scientific discoveries, including me. Secrecy was always the better option. Only the U.L. and the two Professors involved in the project could know.

It was ten o'clock in the morning when I finished my exercise routine in my personal gym. I exited to the main sitting area, taking a large sip of my collagen protein powder shake in the process. Professor Nyryn said that it was vital to repair my muscles and restore my energy after a two hour workout session, so she always made me drink a large protein shake after the strenuous exercises. Panting, I headed straight for the sitting area on the right side of the living room, which consisted of two black-leather chairs and a sofa. I plopped down on the couch, sinking into the plush cushions. Ah, that's better. I could feel the tension melting away. That was one benefit to working out your whole life, the exercise and recovery gets easier with time.

I took another swig of my drink before flipping on the large screen TV in front of me. It popped up with the next video I was assigned to watch—a documentary on the Sonderbund War in 1845. I was just about to press play when I heard the clicking of bolts on the door behind me. My head whipped around to see Director Rokmond enter the room. He quickly shut and relocked the door.

"Oh, hello Director Rokmond," I said. The Director typically visited me one to two times per week, though sometimes the other members of the U.L. would come too.

"Hello, Xara. How have you been doing?" the Director greeted.

"I've been doing well."

"That's good." The Director crossed over to the sitting area and reclined in the leather chair to my left. "How was training this morning?"

"Tiring, but good."

The Director nodded. "As it should be." He paused for a moment. My head tilted to one side, trying to read him. I could tell he was getting ready to tell me something important. What it was... well, I'd know in a few moments.

"I'm just going to cut to the chase," the Director said. "You've been alive for eighteen years. You've learned everything there is to know about the world, from politics to culture to spy work. The only thing you haven't done is see it all with your own eyes. The majority of your memories are not your own. All you know of are Agent X's experiences. Thus, the U.L. has officially decided to send you on a mission."

My eyes popped open. I was not at all expecting to hear that. "Y-y-you've what?"

"We have decided to send you on a mission," the Director repeated, his voice kind but firm. This was not up to negotiation or discussion. Whatever the U.L. decided was final.

"But why?" I blurted out. "Why now?"

"You will discover during your mission briefing, which is right now," the Director said. He reached into his briefcase and pulled out a DVD, which he proceeded to place inside of the TV. The screen lit up with the words 'Mission WLM500.'

"On July 1, there will be a World Leaders Convention, located in Brussels, Belgium. Representatives from thirty countries have been invited by the US and the UK to convene there. At this convention, they plan to share scientific discoveries and advances with each other. We are unaware of the exact details of the advances that have been discovered, however, we can be sure that we do not want what is discussed falling into the wrong hands.

"Due to interior intelligence, we have discovered that WAOIC plans to be at that meeting in order to collect valuable information that they can sell to countries that weren't invited. They plan to replace one of the ambassadors at the convention with their own agent. Our job is to determine who the enemy agent is before the convention begins.