Here's To Them

Here's to them.

Here's to the generation of witches and wizards that changed history.

Here's to Lily Evans, the girl with the fiery red hair and an equally fiery spirit, the girl who, if looks could kill, would have murdered you a thousand times with her emerald-green stare. Here's to the girl who always stood up for herself, but never knew when to back down. Here's to the brave Gryffindor who stared down a Slytherin two years older than herself in protest of their bullying. The girl who loved reading cheesy classics more than any textbook, whose favorite spot in a castle full of magic was the library. The girl who laughed and gossiped with her friends in their dorm at the top of the tower. Here's to the witch at the top of her potions class, here's to the girl whose charms rivaled those of Professor Flitwick. Here's to Lily Evans, the girl who dreamed.

Here's to James Potter, whose father's fame couldn't stop his aesthetically messy hair, whose gold-flecked hazel eyes shone behind wire-rimmed glasses. Here's to the boy who would have done anything for his friends, whose pride too often got in the way of his dignity. The boy who put quidditch before all else, who spent long hours training his team to be the best at Hogwarts. The boy who enjoyed frolicking in the woods as a deer under the light of a full moon, who often woke up the next morning with scratches and bruises but never complained about them. Here's to the Gryffindor who spent more time sitting in detention than paying attention in class, yet still managed to pass his classes and ace transfiguration. Here's to James Potter, the boy who lived.

Here's to Marlene McKinnon, the girl whose blue-eyes-blond-hair stereotype told a completely different story to her personality. Here's to the girl who was nobody's fool, who muttered curses at teachers under her breath as her friends tried hard not to laugh. The bad girl who broke every guy's heart (and every single rule). The girl who slept in on weekends and complained loudly at early Saturday quidditch practices. The girl who wasn't scared of anything, not detention, not skipping classes, not a dangerous flip on an old school broom. Here's to Marlene McKinnon, the girl who flew.

Here's to Sirius Black, the rebel with dark hair too long to be acceptable, the boy whose stormy gray eyes reflected his pain within. The boy who just wanted to keep his brother safe, who wanted nothing more to escape the looming shadow of his family's history. Here's to the boy that smoked cigarettes in the comfort of his dorm, who bounded around the castle as a shaggy dog. Here's to the one who spent lazy weekends running through the Forbidden Forest, feeling the wind whistle through his hair. The boy who tried as hard as he could in transfiguration, just to please Professor McGonagall. Here's to Sirius Black, the boy who dared.

Here's to Alice Fortescue, who seemed to radiate joy wherever she was, who always had a smile no matter what was going on. Here's to the girl who loved butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks with her friends, who was one of the best in her year at charms. The girl who knew almost everybody, who went out of her way to make people feel loved. The girl who had a quip ready for any occasion, the girl who knew how to live life to the fullest. Here's to Alice Fortescue, the girl who laughed.

Here's to Remus Lupin, whose sandy hair hid a face full of scars and secrets, the tall and lanky boy who always seemed to have a book in his hands. The boy who hated astronomy because he knew that the moon meant loneliness and pain and fear, the boy who put all those aside once he net his friends, the boy who now knew the moon stood for friendship and peace and laughter in the dangerous woods. But here's to the boy who was so much more than the moon: Here's to the "worst prefect in Hogwarts history," whose upright morals couldn't stop his friends in the slightest. The boy who knew DADA like the back of his hand, whose biggest dream was to be a professor. The master of sarcastic and witty remarks, the boy who could easily talk a teacher out of a detention. Here's to Remus Lupin, the boy who knew.

Here's to Peter Pettigrew, the boy who one could always count on for snacks and candy, whose size mirrored his insecurities. Here's to the boy who stuck with his friends through tough times, who ran the biggest chocolate frog trade network at Hogwarts. The rat that opened the door to new adventures every month, the boy who still couldn't help feeling like an echo among his friends. The boy who stuttered awkwardly in front of teachers and peers, who enjoyed herbology because it was a class that he didn't often need his wand for. The boy who knew all about muggle things and baffled other students with his knowledge. Here's to Peter Pettigrew, the boy who doubted.

Here's to the Marauders, the group that entered Hogwarts as four boys and left school with seven. Here's to Messers. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs; here's to Lily, Marlene, and Alice. Here's to truth or dare in the common room until three in the morning, here's to the best pranks and antics that Hogwarts had ever seen. The group that practically ruled the school, much to the terribly hidden amusement of Professor McGonagall. The masterminds, the jokers, the prankers, and the kind hearts. The group whose heart lay in a wrinkled piece of parchment enchanted beyond belief, every single smile and laugh and tear and heartache. Here's to the Marauders, the group that ruled.

Here's to Lily and James, and the adventures they shared together. Here's to the angry glares turning to longing glances during class, thrown punches transforming into arms brushing against each other purposefully as they did their work in the library. The fluttering hearts that came with a wink from the other, the playful banter in the common room when they should have been doing schoolwork. Here's to their first kiss in the rain as James held an umbrella up to shield Lily from the rain, the moment she looked into his eyes and saw nothing but her future in them. Here's to the ten galleons Sirius won when the two entered the common room together, sopping wet and blushing furiously and holding hands ("I knew they were going to kiss in the rain! It's so cliche! Now you owe me ten galleons, Wormy!") Here's to all the awkward dates in Hogsmeade, the long broom rides over the forest together. Here's to James and Lily, the couple who loved.

Here's to a warm afternoon in June, where a proud auror wed two young lovers under an archway of lilies, making the bride giggle with sheer delight and bliss. Here's to a sacred kiss under the arch, the two lovers completely oblivious to the guests snapping pictures on magical cameras. Here's to a best man speech filled with deer puns and laughing Marauders, a wild reception filled with firewhiskey and new memories. An intense dance-off between the bride and the groom, a tipsy Sirius kissing a surprised, but happy, Remus. Here's to that warm afternoon in June, the day that confirmed the love they had for each other.

Here's to a little house in Godric's Hollow, a little cottage that always seemed to emit an aroma of some sort, whether it was Lily's delicious suppers for her husband and her son or James' well-meaning, but still terrible, attempts at not burning the toast. Here's to the household where love was the only rule, and utter chaos reigned in the form of the other Marauders, taking it in turns to watch Harry while the others were on missions for the Order. The house that was the spot of any tears as Lily learned of her best friend's murder. A house with a beautiful lawn that James loved to wander in as a stag, a spot of paint on the wall where Harry first had a case of accidental magic. Here's to the house at Godric's Hollow, a stronghold of love that nobody could break through.

Here's to a cloudy Halloween night in 1981, a night when the Marauders should've been dressing up and buying candy and spending more time together, a night that ripped their world apart instead. The night a cruel killer burst through their door, a night Lily and James shared one last, frantic kiss before parting ways for the final time. The night James was struck down in a desperate attempt to save his wife, the night Lily threw her fear aside for her only child. The night she looked into a pair of cold red eyes and sacrificed herself. The night a deathly green glow shook the little cottage, the night a killer's soul tore itself apart. Here's to the aftermath of it all: Here's to Remus' tears as he learned of Sirius' betrayal and Peter's murder, Alice's insanity, the deaths of Lily and James and Marlene and the all-too-sudden revert to peace and calm. Here's to Harry Potter, the child who Albus Dumbledore knew must grow up and face the Dark Lord again to fulfill his fate. Here's to Halloween 1981, the night that tore the best of friends apart.

Here's to the ones who unwillingly sacrificed their futures for the futures of everybody else.

Here's to them.