Chapter 52

Chapter 52

     “As soon as my furry friends here tear her to pieces, along with any members of your family who try to protect her, we will be together, Edward…forever.” 

     Aha. So this was the reason why Edward was to be spared by the wolves. In exchange for Tanya’s information about me, the wolves pledged to leave Edward unharmed while they murdered the rest of our family.

     Only Tanya could come up with a plan so…twisted…and, not to mention, ridiculous. As if Edward would just sit by and watch his family be slaughtered by the wolves in order to leave with Tanya.

     She was even more insane than I had first thought.

     Poor Edward seemed completely gobsmacked by Tanya’s words; her thoughts must have matched what she had just spoken as he seemed absolutely horror-struck by her plan.

     I wasn’t surprised by Tanya’s apparent delusions; I was growing angrier by the second, but I somehow managed to obey Carlisle’s wordless request to stay where I was and let the events unfold…for everyone’s sake. Starting the violence by attacking Tanya would only endanger all of us.

     I really wished that Jasper’s gift worked on me better. He had influenced my mood that one time when he had increased my and Edward’s passionate feelings, but that was the only time it had been effective, and I didn’t have time to wonder why. I just wished for him to fill me with calm before I came totally unglued in the face of Tanya’s twisted and evil delusions.

     It definitely took all of my control, plus some additional praying, for me to remain where I was, my jaws clenched in fury as I stared at Tanya, wishing that I could sink my nails into her, rip her to shreds, and burn every piece in a roaring bonfire.

     I only wanted a little justice.

     Really.

     “But Tanya,” Irina said, stepping toward her sister, her expression a little confused. “That is not what you said when we discussed Edward’s transgressions before. You said that you wanted revenge for Edward’s taking another mate instead of you after he had pledged his loyalty, his love, and his life to you. Are you saying that Edward made you no such promises? I would not have acted against our family for anything less than a broken pledge between sworn mates.”

     “Tanya, be reasonable,” Carlisle spoke soothingly. “If Edward said that he made no such promises, then he is not pledged to you as a mate. As you have seen, Edward is spoken for; he and Isabella are engaged to be married.”

     “NO!” Tanya screeched. “Edward is mine, and all of you are keeping him from me! He wants to be with me—don’t you, Edward? You are mine as I am yours, are you not?”

     Her wild eyes were truly frightening. I was beginning to believe that the news of my and Edward’s engagement had pushed her over the edge. She seemed completely unbalanced.