four

x peace x

azula finds herself once more among the flowers, hands trailing along petals softer than the sheets she used to sleep on. on her first visit here, she marvelled at the feeling. now, it is familiar.

her mother talks with her. . . friend. the word feels heavy on her tongue, strange like a traveller in a foreign land. it used to feel unwelcome, as though admitting she had a friend only made her weak. 

azula knows better now. 

she does not know when she learned differently.

she peers up from the white flower gracing her hand, eyes narrowing against the spirit sun. there is a man approaching, and azula understands who he is. she was bitter for so long against him, bitter against her brother and her mother too. but as before, her feelings have. . . dulled. they are there, yet the spirits soothe her into a soft-spoken girl. funny, for she was always the one quickest to sharp words.

uncle iroh comes to her patch in the field of flowers, and he smiles. he says something, and azula lets out a breath. it is an apology, and she is not so ready to accept it, but it is a start.

that night, azula does not wake from her dreams.

_

fire lord zuko orders a state funeral for his sister, tears burning his eyes as he watches her procession. aang is beside him, and so are his friends. they all watch, and they wonder.

why is he doing this?

__

somewhere in the spirit world, azula hears a new voice.

azula smiles.

i forgive you, zuzu.

.

.

.

x FIN x