Arc 2. Chapter 1-4

Start from the beginning

"Oh, look at that!" one of the other girls approached, fascinated by Lucas' crown. "It's so pretty!"

"How did you make it like that? I've been trying since an hour ago!"

"Ah, I think this is the first time I ever met you. You're Elaine's new brother, right?"

"You're cute! Hey, wanna hang out with us?"

"Ehm..." Lucas' eyes were big and scared. It was most likely the first time in his life he interacted with girls his age other than me, so I could understand why he looked like a deer on headlights.

He turned to look at me as if asking for help, but I simply smiled and encouraged him to talk to the other girls. It was not the response he wanted, but it was too late when the girls grabbed him by the arms and took him to their own circle, fawning over him and saying things that made him all red.

I should probably be angry they took Lucas away and left me alone but... the fangirl in me was happy other people could appreciate him and convert. I spent the rest of the time until my mother called me to help with the cooking watching as Lucas tried, and failed, to let the girls down gently.

When I stood up Lucas extended a hand to me. "Wait! Elaine! I'm coming with you!"

"Don't worry. I can help mom on my own."

"But-!"

"You heard Elaine. Now, stay with us Lucas!"

"Can you help me with my bracelet? Yours is so cute!"

"Hey, hey, how old are you? What type of girls do you like?"

"He's getting red again! So cute!"

Oh yes, watching Lucas confused and not knowing what to do was the best. Keep at it girls, we need to convert more people!

Though the betrayed look he sent me just as I was leaving was meant to make me feel bad, it actually furthered the notion in my heart. Cuteness is justice.

The food was done quickly. We prepared a heavy stew full of vegetables and sheep meat for the lunch. There was also bread and eggs as well as ale for the adults and juice for the children. When the people were called over for the food, Lucas had a sullen expression and refused to speak with me, actually making me kind of sad, but I easily gained his favor again when I ceded my portion of meat to him.

Once the food was over the tables were moved away, and a few people that could play instruments started playing a merry tune for the people to dance. I never realized how badly they played until after I recovered the memories from my previous life though. Old man Jean was playing the fiddle, and I found myself enraptured by the instrument despite his out of tune melody.

It wasn't until mid-afternoon, after much dancing and singing was done, when some of the men went over to the corral. That could only mean one thing. It was time for the carnage.

The music stopped while the people reunited in front of the corral to watch. There were some others who stayed behind to clear the tables for the production of the sausages and to process the meat, my mom included, but most of us went over for one of the most important parts of the day.

Honestly, even though I liked harvest I never really liked watching the carnage, not even before recovering my memories. The animals, especially the pigs, made so much noise it was annoying and quite disturbing. However, it was Lucas' first time participating, so I had to be there.

"I don't know if I can do it" Lucas said, his face pale as he watched how the men hanged the pigs upside down from their rear hoofs, all the while squealing and screaming.