Arc 1. Chapter 4-7

"You know..." Isabella started in a sing-song voice, taking me out of my thoughts. "If you want to come with us, you can come. No need to hold yourself back."

I blinked, turning around and seeing her already changed, garbed in her pants, boots and leather armor. Her infallible knifes where placed in two belts, one around her waist and the other crossing her chest. Isabella was amazing at knife throwing. She could hit targets from over ten meters.

She smiled, her hands on her hips. "I can see right through you. When dad said you could wait here, you looked like you had swallowed a lemon."

I frowned, offended. "That's not true. Why would I look like that when I want to go back home? I don't want to go into battle for people I barely know in the first place. And in second place, I'm not fit for battle anyway. I mean, look at me" I gestured with my hand, encompassing my whole, emaciated self. "Do I look like I would be of any help to you?"

"You don't necessarily have to fight, but your gift would be a great asset" Isabella answered, not denying my claim about my physical condition. For some reason, this peeved me more.

"If I'm of so much help, then why didn't your father ask me to come with you?"

"Oh, so that's what's going on" Isabella nodded, smiling and leaving me confused. "You're angry because nobody begged you to come with us. I see. I see."

"Where did you even got that from? I don't want anybody begging me anything!" I refuted, astounded at her conclusion.

"Then you want us to drag you against your will? Is that what you want?"

"That's not-!"

"Help me understand Elaine, because I really don't get it. What is it you exactly want to do?" she sounded so patronizing, like a mother talking to her unruly child. What the hell?

"I don't understand the point of this conversation" I said instead of answering, because I truly didn't. What was she trying to do?

Isabella sighed, adjusting her knifes, talking as she verified everything was in order. "You seem discontent. Even though you say one thing your eyes say another. I don't think there's anything bad with admitting to want to do crazy, unreasonable things once in a while."

"I don't want to, though."

She snorted. Her eyes returned to me, and I felt strangely small when under her gaze. It was like she could see through me. I didn't like that sensation at all.

"It might just be me" she said after a while, still not taking her eyes off me; "but I can at least say this: whatever situation I get into, I want to see it all through to the end. Letting other people resolve my issues for me it's not my style, but I guess I can't say the same about you" her eyes narrowed, not in a condescending way, just as if she was thinking about something deeply. Still, it felt like a slap to my face. "So I'm going to ask one last time, what do you want to d-?"

"I don't know!" I yelled, interrupting her while standing up and glaring and feeling so annoyed at her insistence on a topic that wasn't even her business. Isabella raised an eyebrow, and only in that moment I realized my outburst. I blushed. "It's just... when everything started, I was dragged against my will, used and abused at every turn..." I told myself I dind't owe her any explanations, but my mouth kept talking, saying my thoughts out loud as they came into being in my mind. "While I was in that castle, I felt so trapped, the only thing I wanted to do was go home. And I still do, but..."

I bit my lip, almost expecting Isabella to say something before I could, but she remained silent, and I was forced to continue with my mind still a mess.