Sunrise (Agent!Farlan X Reader) AU

~A/N: Listen As You Read! www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVbucC… ~

    The sound of the birds cordially chirping seemed to be the first thing that awoke your peaceful form from your slumber. The second, quite possibly the amber sunlight sifting in about the windows, peeking in through the small space left open from the draperies. Eyelashes fluttering open, they caught the attention of the golden light crawling inside of the small bedroom bit by bit, causing them to glitter along with the luminous rays. Shifting slightly to the side, you felt a meager weight draped over your waist as you turned. A smile graced your lips as your eyes fell upon a tousled mop of pale-brown locks shadowing over tanned features halfway nuzzled into the snow colored pillow. His arm was casually slung over your waist, gently squeezing you to his side as his chest rose and fell with his tranquil breaths.

    It seemed as if an almost silent connection between the both of you caused his lids to slowly peel open, revealing a pair of bright silver-blue orbs swimming with the leftover grogginess and dazed expression from his dreams and sleep. A grin grew on his lips before he shut his eyes once more, hugging you closer to his consoling figure.

    A steady silence hovered over the atmosphere, before you allowed a soft whisper to crack through the space. "... What time did you come in last night?"

    He murmured something inaudible, nuzzling his nose into your soft hair before speaking clearly. "About four or five in the morning... It's almost nine now."

    "Why didn't you wake me?"

    Watching quietly, you studied the details of his visage. The way his locks fell precisely in between his brows, practically itching your palm to brush them away. How his lips although pressed together with determination, still somehow managed to curl upwards into a slight smile. As his eyes opened once more to connect with yours, you smiled at the simplicity of the serene moment. How your breaths mixed together, fanning off the contours of your features, or even how the sunlight fell over his form to present him with an angelic-like aura. It could even be the way the birds encouraged the brief time period to last for a life time.

    "I didn't want to disturb you," he finally spoke. "You were smiling in your sleep again. It looked like a good dream too," he murmured with a teasing tone.

    You smiled softly, allowing your eyelids to drift shut over your orbs. He always seemed to notice even the slightest things about you, for reasons you were unsure of. His lips pressed delicately to your temple, almost lazily as you could see a wave of drowsiness already daring to take over, and yet filled with all the love, devotion, and adoration in the world. "Get some more sleep," you whispered.

    "I will. Don't wor-"

    His words were sharply cut off by the harsh ring of a cellphone. Almost instinctively, he turned from you, bed creaking with the sudden movement as he reached for the phone and held it to his ear. A series of "Mhm"'s and "Yes sir"'s followed the eerie silence as he leaned on his elbow on the mattress to support his frame, blanket slipping down enough to reveal his back muscles. With a final "Yes sir", he hung up, and swung his legs over the side of the bed.

    "I thought today was your day off," you murmured quietly, sitting up as you ran a hand through your hair.

    He nodded in agreement, hurriedly throwing a shirt over his exposed torso. "I know, I know... Something's just come up, and Levi wants me in with Isabel just in case something bad happens," he explained. Immediately he noticed your disappointed expression, and ambled over to your side of the bed. "I'm sorry, you know I have to go," he murmured, reassuringly pressing his lips to your forehead.

    "I know... Just, stay safe for me, alright?" you said.

    An almost cocky smile played onto his features as he tossed on a jacket as well, grabbing the familiar briefcase set in the corner of the room beside the door. "I always do, don't I?" he responded.

    With a final fleeting moment of eye contact before he stepped out, you spoke the words that seemed like a routine every time he had to leave. "Farlan, wait-"

    "Yes?"

    You were silent for a long moment, eyes lingering on his figure and sketching his appearance into your mind. As you always did in times like these. "When will I see you again?" you whispered.

    He quickly strode to your side, the pads of his thumbs tracing your define cheekbones as he delicately pressed his lips to yours. "At sunrise," he murmured. As you nodded, he smiled, silver-blue eyes glistening with the emotions he had no time to express to you.

    And before he could succumb to his desires to stay by your side for the sunrise, the door softly shut behind his form.