Chapter 9: What's his face...?

Start from the beginning

       "I had everything under control." Asch argues, crossing his arms.

       "Your majesty, you almost had us killed." Rhys retorts.

        "I grow tired of this charade we are playing."

        I sigh. "You and me both..."

        Rhys turns to me. "Leif!"

        "I kind of agree." Noi says, his tone unusually serious. "Why are we dancing around here? We know the humans have dangerous weapons but, we've had a lot of chances to take on this female human here."

        Wow, I actually agree with Noi... I hate it.

        Rhys lets out a sigh. "Prince Asch, this mission is everything to you, is it not?"

        "Wha- yes."

        "If we go back to Daemos without a solid source to renew the magic, there isn't going to be a second chance. We single-handedly killed the last source of magic." Rhys reminds us. "If we return with nothing to show for it but a weak source of magic, that's it. We will lose everything! We will suffer humiliation, and worse."

        Noi looks down, sadness written all over his face. "Our heads..."

        Rhys nods. "Precisely. No matter how valuable in the ranks, we will die. And Asch, you out of all of us, will suffer the most."

        I look back to Asch, waiting for his retort only to find a panicked expression on his face. I roll my eyes, looking back towards Rhys.

        "Lighten up, will ya?"

        He looks at me, seemingly shocked that I spoke up. "Huh?"

        "We aren't at that point yet. Besides, Asch is just doing things like we would on Daemos. Can't shame him for that, huh?" I say, trying to defend to his actions.

        "I can shame him." Rhys states.

        "Well, you can't shame me."

        "You do that enough for yourself already." Rhys spits.

        My hands ball up into fists, as I try not to snap. "Point is," I begin, tensely. "We'll do things your way for now Rhys, right Prince Asch?"

        "Exactly!"

        His outburst catches me slightly off guard. "Huh?"

        "For now, things are going according to plan. The human prisoners will teach us to be humans so we can learn their weaknesses. Then once we know how they work, we will bring the strongest back to Daemos to extract their magic." Asch explains.

        Noi giggles. "That's a good plan."

        "An impressive strategy." Pierce adds.

        I smirk back at Rhys. "See? He had a plan all along."

        "...All right then." Rhys starts, hesitantly. "What is the next course of action?"

        "We kill no humans, we begin blending in." Asch turns to me. "Leif, wake the prisoners up."

        My smirk grows. "With pleasure...~" I step away from the group and walk to the human's chamber, not without hearing one more line from Asch.

        "We need to begin assimilating ourselves with the humans immediately."

        When I enter the room, I find both humans asleep in there, even though I could have sworn that the one without magic went to a different room. Perhaps all humans have some kind of magic...