Chapter 1

Martin's POV

"What the hell?" I ask my mother in Dutch, as she fills the large suitcase with clothes I will probably never wear. I doubt people wear suits to college in America.

America.

Fucking America.

First of all, this whole bullshit idea of a one year break from my career is exactly that. It's bullshit. So what if I've partied too hard or gotten drunk a few times? It's not like I'm in a damn rehab centre. I mean, I'm 19 years old. But clearly that's not what anyone had planned, even the big wigs at Spinnin. After the whole.. incident, they agreed it would be my last screw up before I ruined their goddamn reputation.

So they called my parents, the traitors, and devised a plan to "get me back on track". What was the plan? Well I can't stay in Amsterdam with my parents because they're philanthropists and they travel too often. Basically, they decided to ship me off to America to live with some strange family and hopefully, with the connections they have, get me back into finishing my degree in music production.

"All set." My mother says as she struggles to close the suitcase. "Martijn, just sit on it. That way I can force it to close."

"Well maybe you wouldn't have to force it if you hadn't shoved every piece of shit I own into it." I grumble, sitting on the hard surface of the suitcase.

After getting the damn thing closed, my father appears in the doorway. He wears a stern expression, his mouth pressed into a straight line.

"Your flight leaves in 3 hours. We need to get to the airport." He says in rapid Dutch and walks away. I hear him grab his keys as my mother pulls me into a hug.

My arms hang at my sides as I stand awkwardly, not know what the hell to do. I hate hugs. Wasn't it creepy the first time someone gave a person a hug? Oh come here, let me randomly put my arms around you and shit, trust me, it feels good. Well it doesn't feel good. It's uncomfortable and pathetic.

My mother pulls away and stares right at me, cupping my cheeks in her hands.

"It's for your own good, Martijn. Please, just please try this time." She sniffs and I know what's coming. The fucking tears.

"Behave. And be nice to the Lorden's." She smiles but continues crying.

I don't know what to say to her so I turn to the bed and grip the suitcase handle, pulling it to the floor.

"I know you don't want to Martijn and I don't want you to leave either, but it's for your own good okay?" I hear her say as I reach the doorway.

"Oh don't pretend like you want me around all of a sudden." I snap, turning around to face her and her eyes widen in shock.

"You and dad can fuck right off to whichever country you're jetting off to this time. I couldn't give two shits."

I slam the door shut behind me and I hear her hiccup as she cries.