Chapter 38

Quick shoutout to @martin_garrix_world on Instagram! I was supposed to upload this on her birthday but I hadn't finished it in time so happy belated 17th birthday.

Zoe's POV

When I was 8 years old, I'd visited the hospital for the very first time. I'd broken my arm trying to get to the top of Lea's backyard tree house. I fell off the ladder that was nailed up the side of the large oak tree and the next thing I knew, there was a bone protruding out of the underside of my left arm. I don't remember crying. I was shocked, yes, but I didn't want to cry because my father always told me, 'Real lawyers don't cry. They get back up, dust themselves off and carry on as if they've never failed.'

So when my vision returns and my eyelids are too heavy to lift, I catch glimpses of a nurse beside me, with a needle in her hand, and I don't flinch. The pain begins sinking in; my legs burn as if they're on fire as someone dabs cold liquid on various spots. I move my fingers slowly, touching my palms. The skin is rough and calloused, I can feel the cuts and when I remove my fingers, they are sticky with what is probably drying blood.

My eyes are heavy and I can barely open them fully. I can see two of everything. The nurse's face seems to blur and shift then vanish. I move my neck to the left and a sharp pain shoots up to my skull. All I can see is pale blue and a flash of white before my vision blurs again.

"The cuts aren't deep..minor neck injury..Has a slight concussion...okay...she'll be fine..Overnight..."

I catch snippets of a conversation but it's seems too far away.

"I'll stay," a smooth voice says, a contrast to the other one.

"We'll both stay," another voice growls.

"We'll move her to the private ward," a woman says, becoming louder.

Someone is touching my hands and wrapping it in something. I move my fingers as it begins to burn. When they are finished, I hear a loud click and suddenly, I am moving but my legs are motionless. I realize the bed is being taken somewhere else.

"You will both need to give your name to the reception, we need to know who you are," the nurse says from above me.

I keep my eyes closed, my head lolling to the side.

"Uh okay, we're her friends," the smooth tone is soothing. I try moving my head in the direction of the voice.

Then there's silence and only the rolling sound of wheels on tiles. My eyes flutter open and closed, catching glimpses of dark brown hair. Eventually, my brain hurts too much from trying to process my surroundings and I give in to the pain resonating in my skull. Everything switches off and fades back into nothingness.

..

"You can go now. I'll stay," a voice growls.

"No," someone else scoffs loudly.

"It wasn't my fault," the other voice snaps.

"Then what was she running from? A ghost?"

"She wasn't running from me," the voice responds in a low tone.

"What happened then?"

"Fuck off."

Someone sighs and I hear the shuffling of feet. There's silence except for the throbbing in my head that thumps on in a constant rhythm. I move my head slightly and the pain lulls for a second before returning. I groan softly, trying to open my eyes. There's more shuffling.

"Zoe?"

My eyes flutter open and squint closed again.

"Mmph," I respond, my throat dry, "Wa-" I swallow, "Water.."