t h i r t y - n i n e

Start from the beginning

"Not right now," you whispered. "I don't wanna get up," you mumbled. He let out a sigh.

"I wanna know though," he whispered. You smiled, taking his hand in yours. He chuckled. "Still cold?"

"No, I just wanna sit here with you."

It was a little while later that you'd gotten up and Gray headed out for a quick trip to the store for a test or two, as well as some Advil for you.

"How long?" he asked as you came out of the bathroom. You shrugged, staring at the test in your hands.

"Do you wanna see it first?" He shrugged. "A few more minutes I think," you whispered.

"Hm."

"Do you even want a baby?" you asked, looking up at him. His eyebrows raised. "Like, now, I mean." He smiled.

"Well, I mean-- I didn't expect for you to, you know, get pregnant so soon, but," he paused, "if you were, I'd be fucking overjoyed, y/n-- I wanna be a dad more than anything."

"Okay."

"Do you want a baby?" he asked. "Like, now, I mean." You smiled, pressing your face into his chest as he wrapped his arms around you.

"I don't know," you whispered. "But if I am pregnant, I'd be-- I'd be overjoyed too."

You flipped it a few moments later and felt Gray a little, his breath hitting your neck. "Oh well," he whispered.

"I'm sorry," you mumbled. He hugged you.

"What're you sorry for-- we weren't-- trying or anything," he said. You shrugged, holding the test in your fist. "And it's not your fault."

"I feel like I got your hopes up," you said.

"Nah-"

"Shush, I know I did," you said, pressing at his chest with your finger. He gave you a small smile as you pulled away from each other. You sniffled.

"It's okay-- one day, yeah?" You nodded. You reached up to kiss him and soon pulled away, with his hands at your waist.

"I don't wanna get you sick," you whispered as he bent down to kiss you again.

"I really don't care."

---

"Ready?" E asked, holding open the passenger seat door for you. You thanked him, slipping in.

"Thank you," you said for the second time as he began to drive. E shook his head.

"Of course, don't worry about it." You stared out the window. "Walk-in clinic?"

"Yes, please." He nodded, driving where you needed to go. "How's Elle?" you asked. He sighed.

"Doing a lot better, but she's still sneezing and coughing," he said with a nod, drumming his fingers on the steering wheel. "You probably caught what she has."

"Oh, yeah-- probably," you said with a nod. "Oh well."

"So, how are things?" he asked, turning to look at you as Smooth Cat drove herself. You had yet to name Gray's Tesla. "Haven't had a one-on-one conversation with you in a while." You shrugged.

"I've been okay, E." He nodded. "Yourself?"

"I've been okay too." He smiled and nodded again. You nodded back. "How's-- you know, the married life?" You shrugged again.

"Okay." He nodded, fingers drumming against his knee now. "Um-- you excited for the baby?"

You watch his eyes light up.