Cadet

You woke up in the overly-bright white room, just the same as every morning had been for the past few months. Today was a big day, though, because your briefing was finally over and the job was to begin.

The Kaminoans had hired you for your expert bounty-hunting and combat skills, but also your youth. This was important to them because every other hunter they seemed to find was much older, and they wanted someone close to the age range of the subjects so they could be related to.

The Kaminoans also trusted you with their secrets- but they didn't trust you too much- you haven't been allowed to leave the godforsaken planet. Every day was the same. Wake up, train, study, look at the rain, sleep.

You had spent this whole time learning about the clones and how they work, but you still hadn't met any despite the place being riddled with them. You've only seen them in passing. But today a batch of them were ready for training, and it was your turn in the cycle of hunters to take the lead.

You weren't nervous until you realized what an insane situation this was. The Jedi- a group of galactic "peacekeepers"- had ordered this army of clones to fight in their war? And they hired you- a young woman with a knack for fighting?

The batch of clones that were assigned to you were nearly done with training, and were almost ready for war. Your job was to simply nitpick and find the most suitable ones for higher positions. You were to decide who stood out.

You walked into the room where they all were communing, identical young men were messing around with each other, some acting like children, and some looking anxious for what was to come. One  of them finally noticed you after you had been observing for about half a minute.

"Attention!" He yelled to the others, who stopped what they were doing and scrambled to order themselves in front of you.

"I am (Y/N). But you will call me sir."

"Sir yes sir!" They said in unison, lifting a hand to salute.

"I understand your training is almost complete," you said, pacing in front of them as you felt their eyes bore into you. "But that's only just the beginning. Right now you are just men. But I will make you into soldiers. The finest the Grand Army of the Republic has to offer!"

"Sir yes sir!" They said.

"I will know your every weakness!" You eyed one of them and he winced. "I will know your every strength!" You shot a look at another who reacted similarly. "And I will make sure every one of you is prepared for anything the galaxy will throw at you." You stopped pacing. "Have I made myself clear, men?"

"Sir, yes sir!"

"Good." You said. It was impossible to tell any of them apart when they are all standing together like that. Their eyes were all locked on you, waiting for the next instruction or intimidation. You decided it was time to test them.

-time skip-

Once you had a good gauge of their skills in different areas- including weapons handling, agility, quick thinking, etc.- it was clear who some of the standouts were. You had managed to learn all of their identification numbers or names if they had them. A couple of them even asked you to give them their own name. It was still impossible to know which was which if they didn't have indications on their uniforms.

On the top of your list of standouts was a clone named Rex. It was clear that he was going to be one that you selected for a high position, but for the next few weeks you got to see them all progress and work on their skills. He preferred to fight with dual DC-17 blaster pistols, and he worked very well under pressure. This was a natural-born leader, despite his birth being anything but natural.