Deacon vs Warrior (2) (Young Uhtred x Reader)

A little while later, Sihtric knocked on the door of Beocca's home. You beat your father to answering it. You opened the door and stared at the Dane, waiting for him to speak. Beocca walked in behind you, greeting Sihtric.

The man in question smirked down at you. "As promised, y/n, I am here to fetch you and the priest. We leave at sundown."

You frowned. "It's been two days. I was under the assumption you were to come back for me in an hour's time."

"That is why it is un-lady like to assume." He joked and gently pushed you away. "Prepare your horses. It is time to retake Bebbanburg for Lord Uhtred."

You opened your mouth to respond sarcastically, but Father Beocca moved you to the side. "Let Uhtred know we will be ready. My daughter and I wish to pray now for safe travels."

Sihtric nodded once and walked away from your home. You said nothing as you began packing your things for the journey ahead of you. Your father had a small grin plastered on his face, a look you have rarely seen since Thyra passed away.

"What has you so giddy, father?" You inquire.

A small chuckle escapes his lips. He pulls you into a tight embrace, the smile never wavering. "It feels like just yesterday you were a babe." He sighed deeply before pulling away. He kept his hands on your shoulders. "Now, look at you. All grown up and ready to begin courting."

You laughed loudly at that statement and moved away from your father. "Courting? What gives you that idea?" You unsheathe your sword and admire the blade. "No man would want a warrior like me. Only God can handle a lady like myself."

He hummed. "I am sure a man of God can tolerate you just fine."

You blush and narrow your eyes at him. "What exactly are you implying, father?"

He places a hand on your shoulder again and looks out of the small window of your home. His eyes find Young Uhtred, once again, arguing with Uhtred. "Lord Uhtred has told me of your obvious affections for his son. It seems they are reciprocated by the deacon."

You tried to hide the smile that graced your face. "Do not be silly, father. I cannot fall for a man I only met for a moment."

He shrugged and walked away from you. "Yes, I suppose that may be true in your case." He stated with a smirk on his face. "But I do remember taking one look at Thyra and falling in love instantly. Uhtred and Gisela had the same connection."

"That is because you all were old when you fell in love. It is not so easily at a young age." You comment. Beocca said nothing with his mouth, but the expression on his face said a thousand words. 

~~~~~

You groomed your horse delicately as they rest of your group hurried around making last minute adjustments. Finan, Osferth, Sihtric, and Uhtred appeared to be having another serious conversation about whatever they were planning. They still had not fully informed you about everything. You had a feeling your father knew, but was told to not tell you. You didn't push on the subject. Whatever it was, Uhtred would inform you when it came time for you to know.

"My father swears you were not sent to play with my heart," a voice speaks from behind you, "but I find it hard to believe he planned for a woman as beautiful as yourself to only say a few kind words to me."

You shook your head, keeping your attention on your horse. "Young Uhtred, I assure you I had no means of catching your eye. I was sent to be a distraction, I'm sure. I was not aware that you were Uhtred's son."

"I must admit, I should've known no woman would have such an interest in the church's vegetable garden." He stepped into your view. "But I figured that maybe I stood a chance."

You smiled gently and hopped onto your horse's saddle. "You are Uhtred's son, no doubt. You flirt with ease for someone who is supposed to be married to the church."

He scoffed, but the boyish grin never left his face as he followed next to your horse as it walked off. "Married to the church? I prefer the term dedicated. I merely am fond of God's beautiful creation."

You turned your gaze forward. "Would this creation you speak of be me, Young Uhtred?"

"Indeed, lady." He confirms. "I have never met a Christian woman like yourself before."

You laughed at his attempt to compliment you. "Deacon, I assume there are not many women that wield a sword, but I am sure you could find one if you ever wondered outside of the church's walls." You pat your weapon that hung at your side. "Now, if I were you I would find your horse. We are to be leaving momentarily."

Young Uhtred slowed to a stop as he watched you continue on. You showed no signs of knowing what his father was up to. He intended to catch your attention long enough for information to spill out. Instead, he was left with a hastily beating heart and a clouded mind. It was obvious he needed to pray about what this feeling meant.

As he turned, he was met by the taller figure of his father. Uhtred smirked at his son and placed a hand on the young man's shoulder. "You have a good eye for women."

The younger blushed and shrugged his father's hand off. His eyes landed on your figure again. "My eye is only aimed towards God. Y/n, is nothing more than a mystery that I wish to understand."

Uhtred chuckled. "Keep thinking that. I have a feeling she is your destiny." The Dane began to walk towards the horse stable. "I must warn you, she is dangerous when it comes to her swordsman skills. Do not test her too much."

I planned on this going a different route, but I kind of like this version more. I'm not sure if I'll write a part three or not.