Deacon vs Warrior (Young Uhtred x Reader)

During one of the Danes' raids of a Saxon village, they left behind one small child. The small baby was well hidden by her parents, both of which were now slaughtered with the rest of their neighbors. Somehow, she had slept through the whole thing. She was relatively silent for hours, until hunger struck her frail body. She cried out to her parents, to anyone that could hear.

It wasn't until the next day that someone finally found her.

Uhtred and his band of warriors came across the barren town. The smell of death was thick. He knew this was the work of his Dane counterparts. The area was known for their vast amounts of silver, so it was no surprise why they chose this place over any other.

"Search the area." Uhtred ordered. "Look for any survivors."

Sihtric mumbled under his breath as he hopped down form his horse. "I doubt anyone could have survived this."

The men searched for any signs of life in the corpse town they stood in. Every home was entered. No one found anything until Beocca finally called out to the young man he trusted and cared for. "Uhtred! I found something... or rather, someone."

Your cries attracted the attention on Father Beocca and eventually led him to the small crate you were hidden away in. He held you in a cradle and approached the Saxon born, Danish warrior. Everyone's eyes fell onto the priest's figure.

"A baby." Osferth whispered what was on everyone's minds.

"How on Earth did a baby live through this?" Finan inquired. "What are we going to do with the lad?"

Beocca rocked you. "It is not a lad, it is a baby girl." He corrected the exiled Irish prince. "If it is okay with Uhtred, I would offer to raise her as my own."

Uhtred nodded in agreement. He signaled for the crew to continue their ride back to the kingdom of Wessex. King Alfred was awaiting their return.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Years passed since you were adopted by Beocca. Alfred demanded that both Beocca and Uhtred be in charge of your well being and raising you. To Uhtred, this meant training you to be a fierce warrior. To Beocca this meant raising you in the church. When you were a young girl, Beocca married Thyra. 

Now, you were a feared fighter. You wielded a sword at Uhtred and Beocca's side in every battle. As Uhtred Ragnarsson began to plan how to take back Bebbanburg, he figured you could play an important role in the next step.

You watched as the priests, monks, and deacons walked amongst themselves in the garden right outside of the church. Various fruits and vegetables were ripening, filling the atmosphere with a sweet flowery and herbal odor. You looked to Uhtred with a frown. He motioned for you to enter the small courtyard. Sighing, you fixed the skirt of your dress (Uhtred insisted you had to wear it) and walked up to one of the members of the church group.

"Excuse me." You called out to gain his attention. "Could I ask you a question."

The curly haired boy in front of you turned around. He greeted you with a warm smile. "Of course. How can I help you, lady?"

You searched your mind for something to talk about. You mentally cursed for not thinking further past greeting him. Your eyes scanned the plants. "I noticed the plants should be ready for harvesting soon."

His glance fell to the vegetables in question. "Yes, I suppose so. What about them?"

"I was just wondering if you would need any assistance picking them when the time comes. I am always look ing for ways to help the church... I don't believe I caught your name." 

His smile faltered for a second. "You are Beocca's daughter, are you not?"

Great. You could've worn your usual attire if he were going to recognize you so easily. Why didn't you know him? "That's correct."

He sighed and sat down on the closest bench, motioning for you to do the same. "I guess I should introduce myself as Young Uhtred then, since you know my father."

You furrowed your eyebrows. "Uhtred is your father? You're the son he talks about?" You realized this sounded negative. "He always speaks of missing you and your sister. He never told me you were priest."

He made a sound that sounded somewhere between a scoff and a laugh. "I'm a deacon. It doesn't please my father that I choose Christianity over his pagan ways. He has disowned me as his son."

You shook your head. Uhtred spoke of his children highly. He clearly loved them. How could he disown his own son if he loved him so much. Young Uhtred smiled sadly at your lack of words. "It's okay. There is no need to try to say the correct thing. Now, I do believe you were asking about vegetables."

You secretly rejoiced at the fact that he changed the conversation. You didn't want to slip up and make things worse. Uhtred wanted you to talk to his son for a reason. You just didn't know why.

As the two of you conversed about random topics, you saw some of Uhtred's men sneak around in the vegetation. The next thing you knew, Young Uhtred was snatched from your sights and hiked away to Uhtred the Older's hiding spot. 

You ran after them. "What do you think you are doing? You can't just kidnap people!" You yell in a hushed voice to the Dane who sent you on the mission in the first place.

The hood was snatched from Young Uhtred's head. He frowned at you, before letting his glare rest on his father. "Did you really think a girl could woo me away from the church? Why in God's name are you all of a sudden interested in me?"

"I swear I didn't know what he was planning." You blurt out before the young man's father could respond.

Finan grinned. "If the boy is anything like his father, he would love looking at a beautiful lass." He shook you lightly by the shoulders. "But the girl does not lie. We knew she would say no if we told her we were planning on kidnapping you."

Young Uhtred's gaze softened when he looked upon you again. Truthfully, he had gained some feelings towards you in the few minutes he had been speaking with you. It wasn't often women would approach him, so he leaped at the offer. He regretted his prior decision.

"Y/n, you may return home. I shall send for you and Beocca when it is time to leave." Uhtred ordered you to leave so he could talk to his son and his men.

You were used to being allowed in on these type of conversations. "Lord, I would rather-"

"You will leave." He said sternly. "You are not to woo my son. Not right now at least." He joked and clapped a hand on Young Uhtred's back, causing the younger to blush angrily. "I will send for you when you are needed. I don't need you distracting the deacon here."

You huffed and began your trudge back home. "Next time you want to include me in your plans, make sure it's one I don't have to wear a hideous dress for!" You scream to the group of men you just left. They simply laughed and continued their conversation.