Princess of Mercia 2 (Finan x Reader)

At the end of the week, you sat huddled in front of a small fire with Uhtred, his men, and Aetheflaed. The past few days Finan has behaved as your personal body guard. The man you were supposed to be betrothed to never got the chance to mistreat you because of Finan's interference. This, of course, angered your brother. Aelthelred wasn't someone who liked his plans being ruined.

You stared blankly at the fire before you, afraid of what may happen if things don't go right tomorrow morning. You didn't want to risk getting any of the warriors in trouble for assisting your escape. 

"What's on your mind, princess?" Finan inquired. 

You sighed and looked into his eyes. "I'm terrified of what may happen tomorrow if my brother catches us."

He placed a hand over yours. "Do not worry, lady. We are handling your brother as we speak. He will not be up when we depart."

You stare at him confusedly. "What do you mean, Finan?"

He explained that Aetheflaed arranged for one of the king's mistresses to enter his chamber with ale. She is to get him drunk and convince him to remain in bed until midday. You had mixed feelings about this. The queen is assisting her husband in cheating on her just for your cause. 

She seemed to pick up on your thoughts. "Y/n, I assure you I am more than happy to help. You have saved me from your brother's bitterness countless times. Let this be my way of repaying me debt." She grabbed your free hand that wasn't covered by Finan's. "My husband would have bed another woman tonight regardless."

You gave her a sad smile. "Mercia has always been my home. I do not want to leave my people, but I know I leave them in good hands with you."

A silence fell over the group, thinking about how tomorrow will go down. You already had the few materials you were taking tucked away with Finan's bags. All you had to do was sneak out of the kingdom without being noticed. 

Sihtric broke the silence. "I believe it is time for the queen and princess to return to their chambers for the night."

Osferth nodded. "We do not want Aelthelred to get suspicious."

You scoffed as you stood. "I doubt my idiot brother will notice our absence. If you haven't noticed, he can't see past his sinful lust."

Finan offered to walk you back to the palace. Aetheflaed walked ahead to give you some privacy. You stood close to the Irish warrior for comfort. He wanted to wrap his arms around you, but he knew he couldn't risk such an action.

"You look nervous, lady." He commented.

You shot him a playful glare. "I told you to call me y/n, Finan. After tonight, I will no longer be a princess."

He hummed in approval. "Yes, I am aware. By this time tomorrow I will be able to kiss you without fearing my head getting cut off."

"You wish to kiss me?" You asked jokingly as he opened the door to your room for you. He grinned mischievously. "Why have you waited so long to do so?"

He laughed. "I think you forget that you are royalty. It is not like I own enough land and silver to court you." He pointed out. "Every time my path crossed with Mercia, I would look upon your beauty. I never thought I'd get the chance to speak with you."

You giggle. "Lord, you are too kind. I wish we could have met formally earlier. It may have saved me the trouble of being betrothed to such an evil man." You kissed him on the cheek. "Goodnight, Finan."

He smirked widely and held his hand up to his cheek. You closed the door to your living chambers and left the Irishman alone with his thoughts. The moment he returned back to his friends, they began to tease him.

"What is with that look on your face, Finan?" Uhtred grinned. "You look as though you have just earned a pile of silver."

Sihtric elbowed the lord jokingly in his side. "Do not tease him, lord. You know the man gets excited every time a woman comes around. It is his nature."

Osferth suppressed a chuckle and looked upon his friend. "What? Did you kiss her?"

Finan stabbed the dying fire in front of him with a stick. "Aye, she kissed me. My manly ways have her swooning."

All of his friends cracked up at this. They shoved him around roughly like they always do when they share a good laugh. Uhtred smirked at his friend. "It appears to me that Finan the Agile is the one who is swooning."

~~~~~

As soon as the sun's first ray broke past the horizon, the plan was put into action. You greeted the guards your brother put at your door the night before, telling them you were going out for an early morning bath. They thought nothing of it, allowing you to pass without questioning. You slipped through the few people that roamed this early in the morning. Once you made it to the horse stables, you knocked a rhythm that was the signal for Uhtred and his men to reveal themselves. A large cart exited the small building that was joined to the stables. Checking to make sure no one was around, you slipped into the wooden box and hid yourself under all of the warriors' luggage.

Finan tied the cart to his horse and ordered the graceful creature to walk. Uhtred, Sihtric, and Osferth hopped on their horses and followed closely behind. The guards at the gate ordered the men to stop. You shifted underneath the clothes, bags, and the itchy hay they had for the horses. They moved a few items around, too drunk to actually conduct a search and sent your group on its way.

Close to an hour later, they finally allowed you to exit the uncomfortable cart. You stretched out your limbs. This caused your company to laugh.

"Were you not comfortable?" Sihtric questioned sarcastically.

You rolled your eyes and dusted the hay and dust from your (f/c) dress. "I will admit, I have laid on rocks more comfortable than this journey."

Finan removed a stalk of hay from your hair. "And what is a princess doing sleeping on rocks?"

"If you haven't noticed, Finan, I'd do almost anything to get away from my brother, including sleeping near the river bank." You stated as you walked ahead.

"I hope you do not plan on walking all the way back to Coccham, lass." The man who had stolen your heart in the matter of a few days commented. "Something tells me you are not used to such labors."

You ignored him and continued your stride down the marked path. Admittedly, you had no idea where you were going, but you figured you'd managed as long as no forks in the road came up. You removed the tiara from your head and stared at it. You rarely wore it before, but now it was one of the few things that remained of your old life. 

"I'm sure Lord Uhtred will allow you to wear it again on occasion is his estate." Finan spoke, startling you out of your thoughts.

You tucked the item away in your bag. "I worry for Aetheflaed. My brother will surely think she had something to do with my escape."

He placed a hand on your shoulder. "The lady Aetheflaed is strong, y/n. She will not let the turd break her spirits." He reassured you, taking your hand. "I am more concerned about how you are doing, lady."

"I am fine and I am blessed to be rid of that horrid husband-to-be." You laugh bitterly. 

He hummed in response. "Hopefully, your next suitor will be kinder."

You smiled knowingly to yourself. "Yes, and hopefully he will be Irish as well."

He pulled you into him happily. "Would you want him to be an exiled prince as well, because I may have the man of your dreams in mind if you would like me to fetch him for you."

Osferth interrupted your moment. "Just kiss her already. We are tired of waiting around for you and wish to return home sooner rather than later."

You blushed and lowered your head in embarrassment. Finan grinned and lifted your chin to look you in the eye. This time, he was the one to kiss you. It was a short kiss on the lips, but it was perfect.