More than a Pretty Face (Sihtric x Reader)

You sat to the side of the group, polishing your sword. Uhtred and his men were celebrating another victory in battle with ale. He had requested your help, knowing that the Danes wouldn't see you as a threat. In reality, you were a trained warrior. You knew Uhtred back when his name was Osbert and you were kids. When the Danes attacked Bebbanburg, you too were taken as a slave, but for a different family than Uhtred. They raised you as their daughter and taught you the Danish way of swordfighting.

You dressed as an average Saxon woman to make yourself seem weak and helpless. While the rest of the men fought on the battlefield, you snuck up behind the unexpecting warriors and picked them off, one by one.

You were guessing Uhtred had not told his men of your partnership during the battle. Finan, Osferth, and Sihtric regarded you as a damsel in distress when they noticed you resting on a bench outside of the ale house.

"What was your husband's name, lady?" Osferth asked. "I am sure he fought bravely."

You raised your eyebrows in confusion as you looked up to meet their faces. "What makes you think I am married?"

"The sword in your hand. You hold it as if it has great importance to you." Finan explained.

Laughing, you slipped your sword back into its sheath that they had not seen due to the dress you were wearing. "That is because it is my sword, lords. I need not a man to protect me when I can do it just fine on my own." Dusting your skirt, you locked eyes with Sihtric. "It was you fools who needed me."

You turned on your heels and walked away. Uhtred laughed at the failed conversation as he approached from behind his men. "Do not stare too hard, Sihtric. She might cut out your eyeballs. She may be a Saxon by blood, but she is a Dane by the heart."

Finan clapped his friend on the back with a smirk. "She's a pretty face. Definitely a sight for sore eyes."

"Yes, but she is more than a pretty face. She's a greater warrior than all of you combined." Uhtred jokes.

"Maybe better than Osferth," Sihtric responds, "but she is no match for me." He begins to follow after you, ignoring the teasing from his best friends behind him.

Sihtric rounded the corner, taking your attention away from your horse you were attending to. You crossed your arms. He flashed you a flirtatious smile. "Do not look too excited to see me. You might actually show emotions."

You lowered your head so he wouldn't see the small smile grace your face. When you didn't respond, he continued. "What is a Dane like yourself doing fighting against your own?"

"I could ask you and Uhtred the same thing." You say smartly. "Has Uhtred honestly told you nothing about me?" You smirk and turn your head to the side so you could see him out of the corner of your eye.

Wrapping an arm around your shoulder, he attempted to flirt with you. "He did not tell me of your beauty. How does a woman like yourself end up without a husband? It is clear Freya has blessed you greatly."

You remove his arm and twist it behind his back. You shove him against the wall. "I have not yet found a man who can handle me. What makes you think you are any different?" You loosened your grip on him. "A handsome face is not enough to gain my praise."

Sihtric's heart skipped a beat. You were fierce, to say the least. You were unlike any woman he had ever met before. A Dane you were, undeniably. He could see why you and Uhtred were friends.

"I do not believe I caught your name, lady." He asked when you released him from your hold. "I am Sihtric."

You allowed him to see your grin this time. He had not yet given up, which means he might be different from all of the other guys who just wished to hump you because of your face and good looks. "I am y/n. To answer your question from before, Haesten murdered my family two years ago because my father refused to join him in battle. It is not the Danes I fight against, it is Haesten and his schemes."

Sihtric nodded in understanding. "Where Haesten lacks in honor and common sense, there is pride and stupidity." He said smugly. "I am sure it will anger him greatly when he hears you fought alongside us tonight."

You laugh with the dark haired Dane. "The man thinks with his balls, which I will gladly cut off and serve to my horse for dinner." You rubbed the top of your horse's head. "Shall we share a couple rounds of ale together, lord?"

Sihtric wasted no time leading you back to the alehouse. "I thought you said my handsome face wasn't enough to gain your attention, lady? It appears you fancy me some."

You playfully nudge him. "It is not the beauty of your face that attracts me, but the ugliness of your attitude towards Haesten. That alone deserves to be celebrated." 

He shot you a smile, chuckling coming soon after. Uhtred and the rest of his closest men smirked knowingly when the two of you entered the wooden facility. You snatched the jug of ale from Uhtred's hands and chugged down the drink. You slid the empty container back to your friend.

He jokingly shoved you away. "Sihtric, I see you are still alive and have your eyesight. You must not have angered Y/n too much."

The man in question locks eyes with you. "Do not be surprised if I soon court her, lord. She was all over me moments ago."

You laugh. "I think you have had too much ale already, Sihtric. That empty head of yours speaks nothing but nonsense. But, I will admit he is royal."

Sihtric winked at you. "Good to know you have finally come to your senses."

You rested your elbow on Uhtred's shoulder and leaned in towards him. "Yes, Sihtric is a royal pain in the arse. Alfred must love him 'fore no one can match this man's royalty." You tease.

Sihtric eyed you as he finished off his drink. "You are playing with fire, lady."

You leaned forward on your elbows. "Maybe I want to get burned, lord."

You held his gaze with a wide smirk on your face. He reciprocated your actions, refusing to be the one to break the eye contact you had going. Finan whistled. "Aye, good luck with this one, lad. Something tells me they are going to be going at it all night long."