Part II, Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

"Changed how?" asked Harold.

Butch pointed at a map, "His unit is spread out on a line east to west and working its way south from the dam all the way to the Tennessee border. Any squatters or stragglers are to either to be enlisted voluntarily or driven south by force. Once at the border he is to devise a defensive barrier and prevent any further incursions north. The last report I received from him indicates his line is approximately here." He indicated an area about halfway down the park.

Nathan thought for a moment and then nodded approvingly, "Good. Very good. So assuming Captain Green is successful in his mission, we only have to worry about the northern area."

"Yes," answered Butch. "I understand it's a large area, but if you have to prioritize anything, protect the dam at all costs. That electricity is key to everything."

"I've been thinking about that," said Nathan. "I'm going to make Jim Meeks here a company commander with the rank of Captain. He's going to have the job of security of the dam and his company will be made up of our folks from Hancock. That won't be enough, but I'm thinking we'll grow his ranks pretty quickly."

"Captain?" said Jim sheepishly and smiled at Nathan and Harold.

"You'll earn it," said Nathan sternly, "it's not a gift. Leading troops isn't like looking after cons. You sure you're up to it."

Jim's smile vanished and he took on a harsh look, "I'm up to it, don't you worry, Colonel Taylor."

"I'll also need to take a few of your best men," added Nathan.

"My best men?" asked Jim defensively. "I don't have that many to begin with. What are you going to use them for?"

Nathan pointed to the bridges along the eastern border and the refugee camps marked by red circles. "I'm going to make them platoon leaders with Lieutenant Commissions. They'll each be assigned either a bridge to guard or a camp to monitor."

"Excellent," responded Butch. "I'm also leaving you former Master Sergeant Johnny Robels, now a Captain as your quartermaster. You may have heard about our Fort Campbell raid? That was his idea and his show. I've already set him to work establishing a sustainable logistics plan that will cover the entire park area and the new residents."

Butch paused and looked slightly uncomfortable, "There is another issue you'll inherit. Let me first explain that the JP doesn’t really have the convenience of placing criminal in jails or prisons for any length of time. Anyone guilty of minor offenses pays a fine, is given a public whipping, put in stocks for a day or two, or sent to work the Park's old iron ore mine as forced labor for a month or more."

"Forced prison labor?" asked Harold. "I've seen it done, in some cases done well, but it was outlawed in most states years ago."

"We don't really have any choice," answered Butch. "We need that iron ore, it's our primary trade commodity with the Mennonites for finished goods. We give most men the option of banishment from the JP, but no one has chosen that yet. You'll take over and run this operation also."

"Even with all the men we've talked about, we're going to need more bodies," said Jim. "Where are we supposed to get them?"

"Wherever you can," answered Butch. "You are now the sole authority on decisions of who gets into the JP from the east with the understanding that they settle in the LBL Park area and work for you. Any of them don't pan out, throw 'em back. You're call."

Nathan leaned on the table looking at the map, "We're going to need soldiers first. Sure we can put others to work, but to free up the Guard troops we need soldiers. What you're talking about is using raw material. We'll need to train them and weed out the unfit."