⋙ Chapter Fifteen

What did we ever do to these guys
That made them so violent?
But you know I'm yours
And I know you're mine
And that's for all time

Buddy Holly ~ Weezer

Tyler

"I'm sorry about that,” I said, for the millionth time since we’d left the house.

"It's fine," Troye said. I didn't think it was though. How could it be when my mother had been offering that kind of advice despite the fact we’d been together for less than 12 hours?

"I didn't expect her to be so embarrassing.”

"She wasn't."

"She doesn't normally talk about-"

Troye spun round, stopping me from walking any further. "Tyler, it's fine. Seriously. You've got nothing to apologise for. Your mom's great."

"Really?"

He started walking again, but not before he wove our fingers together, pulling me closer to his side. "Really."

Relief washed through me. Situations involving my mother always made me on edge, ever since- before.

To get my mind off the dark thoughts that had begun to plague my head, I decided to change the conversation completely. "So, what colour do you think I should dye my hair next?"

"You're going to dye it again?"

"Yeah why?"

"Well, you've only just dyed it. And I quite like the blue, seeing as it’s my favourite colour and all. Frank Ocean has blue hair as well and oh my god does he look hot."

I didn't know who this Frank Ocean kid was, but I swore I'd kill him if he tried to make a move on Troye.

Troye had clearly seen my bitterness, and giggled. "Tilly relax. He's a singer, and I’ll never meet him. Besides, he's one of the powerless, and I much prefer Fires now… Speaking of singers, who's your favourite artist?"

I found my mouth opening and closing like a fish. Troye harmoniously laughed at the amount of time it was taking me to answer the question. "You can't just ask me that question and expect a quick response!"

Other conversations like that passed between us as we walked. We spoke about important matters - like which Beyoncé song is the best (we decided there were too many and couldn't come to a conclusion) and which book had made us cry the most (I went for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows while Troye chose the Fault in our Stars). Whenever there was a silence, it wasn't awkward - it was comfortable, as if we’d known each other for a lifetime. We ambled towards the school slowly, wanting to spend as much time alone with each other as possible. I loved being in his company, having his hand in mine, seeing the world in a vibrancy everyone else was blind to.

Sooner than expected, the school was looming over us like a noose. A shiver went down my spine. Something about the grey building always set me on edge. Perhaps it was the dirty windows, or the lack of colour. Somehow I felt more confident with Troye at my side. He could lighten up the dull corridors with his smile alone, and somehow, the purgatory in front didn't seem so bad.

I turned to Troye, needing to ask something before we entered. He was biting his lip, seeming to have something to say as well.

"What are we?" We both said at the same time. It was followed by laughter, then silence.

"Are seeing each other... or are we boyfriends?" I asked carefully. I didn't want to overestimate what we had. If I scared him off, he would become distant - that, to me, would be hell.