"Look at you, Lils. You're no longer that kid who flails her hands aimlessly and punches with her thumb inside her fist. You're not that teenager who attempts kicking without respect to balance distribution, or initiates an offence with her eyes closed,"

The only indication that she's just as tired as I am is her heavy breathing and the light layer of sweat that makes the exposed parts of her body shimmer slightly, a catchy adornment to her palpable confidence.

"You're the second best female fighter I've ever met -the first one being your mother, of course-
Can you taste that confidence? That ego boost? What does it taste like?
Sweet, right? You know what tastes sweeter ? Victory,"

My chest constricts slightly, something tingles my heart.

"I want you to reach over and touch your opponent's ego, stroke it slightly, delude them into having the upper hand. Tuck any residual fear inside you and bring out the fake need to yield,"

All my father's coaching comes to my rescue at the last second, and it only takes a few more seconds to turn the wheels over.

I shake my head against the pain, finally gaining some footing, and take my position, prepared for defence.
Since we started off with her idea that she gets to catch me by surprise every time, so be it.

With a few grunts and my forearms crossed in an X in front of me, dodging most punches and all kicks coming from below, I allow her to lead the battle.

She manages to sneak a few punches on either side of my abdomen, each of which disrupting digestive and respiratory systems respectively, but I don't yield, aware that the pain is just a kiss, and the damage is nothing dangerous nor permanent.

When I gather enough information about her fighting technique, I dodge her roundhouse kick by ducking and receiving the hit with my forearm, returning the favour with a neat punch to her lower gut.

She stumbles back with a gasp, and then smiles that sick smile before wiping at her chin with the back of her hand, "Nice shot, kitty, I'm glad you got some moves there,"

Her words are softly spoken, only meant for me, because when I shoot a brief look in Elias' direction, he's still watching us with the same intensity from when we started off, although he seems to be more focused on me now.
One hand in his pocket, the other grips his jaw as if to crack it, he regards the two of us with a hint of nervousness. Why would he be nervous?-

Marble hard knuckles connect with my temple in a punishing uppercut, sending my neck a reeling mess that almost puts me off balance, a distant crack in my neck ensues.

"Focus!" My father's voice hisses in my ear.

With a gasp, I recover my balance before it's too late, remembering my father's number one rule: 'Never lose your focus to something off battlefield' and rewarding Cordelia with a few moves of my own.

"Look at that, you're not just a beautiful body and a pretty face," She comments breathlessly.

I recognise the threat immediately, knowing she's trying to provoke me, so I build my shield of negligence and wear my metaphorical earbuds to tune out her words.

She lifts her foot to kick my side, but I, once again, catch the move with my forearm. "But I'm still wondering if Elias will keep or dump you like the others,"

The others?

My eyes find Elias' instantly, but his expression tells me he hears nothing, so I curb the rising anger and will myself to remain focused, stowing the disturbing question for later.

Strength found, I duck and move a few feet away from her, savouring her laugh at her thinking I've given up or something.
When we're a few feet apart, we begin moving in a circle, as if anticipating each other's moves, until she reaches Elias' side.

She turns her back on me, completely ignoring me -her opponent-, and begins talking to Elias as if we're done here. I wonder if she's talking to him about how weak she thinks I am.

Oh how I would love to prove her wrong.

Although my pride urges me to leave and allow them the privacy to discuss the important matters that call for her abandoning the fight like that, my nature wills me to plant my feet, wondering if she's one of 'the others' she spoke of earlier.

Her behaviour tells me she's used to making orders and having people respond to her with obedience, but if she thinks I'm one of those people, she misinterpreted my calm for something else.

I stalk slowly towards her, picking up pace when I notice she's too engrossed in her conversation with Elias, and when my speed reaches a decent level, I pounce her, falling over her-

She moves the very last second, skilfully avoiding the weight of my body crushing her but I still manage to grab a huge chunk of her shoulder, bringing half her body down with me. I land a few feet away from Elias, and it makes me reconsider my view of their proximity; it seems she was standing a few feet away from him after all, which brings me to the conclusion that she used my feelings for Elias to make a ruse.

She takes advantage of our position, my completely lying down and her leaning over me, raining bullets of hatred-packed punches on me.

"Allow your opponent to revel in a false victory, allow them to be smug for a while before you snatch that away from them,"
My father's voice says. To my right, his silhouette stands with his arms crossed as he watches me.

I think Elias grows worried, because he steps forward, "Cordelia, I think it's-" He pauses when I smile at him, my eyes almost closing from the pain.

Cordelia, fooled by my limpness, raises her head to look at Elias, "Honestly Elias, I was expecting something spectacular, when you said 'fierce fighter'. I was-"

I draw my knees toward my chest, before extending both my legs in a ruthless kick to her stomach, that sends her flying across the floor with a scream of pain, before she lands with a cough.

Even Elias seems taken aback with the sudden outburst. Good.

I don't want to give her a chance to recover, so I roll off my back whist cradling my ribs, going on my knees and my other hand.
Settling for an intermediate kneeling position, I take a few breaths before standing up to my full height.

On my way toward the beautiful but expert fighter, I pass by Elias, ignoring his nod of approval, remembering Cordelia's words from earlier, and I stand before her, as she lies on her side, clutching her ribs.

Unfazed by her weakened state, I stand astride her body, lowering myself to her level, grabbing the lapels of her leather jacket, and honouring her with the headbutt she was first entitled to.

There, fact proven.

Even though I'm well aware we're not done here, since she still has strength in her, I refuse to linger, moving toward the door with determination, bypassing Elias and swerving when his extended hand intersects my path.

This girl seems to be more than merely acquainted with Elias and many an intimation prove so, but Elias never found the decency to mention her.

As I cross the doorframe and turn into the hallway, I glimpse Elias' hand being drawn back to his pocket.
The anger that was once directed at Elias has undergone a strange sort of mutation, morphing into a new unexpected, unwelcome emotion.

Hurt.

••••

What do you guys think of this chapter ?
Thank you guys so much for reading (=

I hope you like this chapter, and if you do, kindly vote and comment because it means the absolute world to me.

Your votes and comments matter to me as they support and motivate me to continue writing ♥️

-Asia