"Good morning, handsome." I smile looking away. He opens the door for me and I get in, excited to see what this little get away might bring for us.

Maverick POV

It was hard to fight the constant urge to grab Nyla's hand or put mine on her legs like we used to do. I didn't wanna make the wrong move or make her uncomfortable, I genuinely wanted this to be a nice little trip for us. I didn't want the pressure of our past weighing on us and most importantly I wanted to show Sky that Mommy and Daddy can be happy together even just for a weekend.

"Daddy, are we there yet?" Sky groans. "This is the longest surprise ever."

"Not yet baby girl, tired of riding in the car?"

"Yes. I'm hungry can we eat?"

"Of course. Nyla, you mind looking up some local restaurants?" I glance over at her. There's been some conversation here and there but she stared out the window most of the drive. Probably thinking about us like me. I wanted so badly to know what was on her mind.

"Of course." She smiles. We decided on a little steakhouse about three miles away. I was anxious to be able to sit down and talk. I helped Sky out and held the door for them as they entered the little restaurant a few towns over from Gatlinburg where we'll be staying. 

"Welcome to Jackie's." The hostess says. "Right this way." she smiles. We follow her to a booth. "Your waitress will be right with you."

"Okay, thank you." I nod with a smile. "Smells good in here huh?" I smile to the two the people I care about the most, as they sat across from me.

"Yes, I want some chicken like Mommy's chicken." she smiles gazing up at Nyla.

"That's impossible. No one can cook like your Mommy." I smile to Nyla myself. "Hopefully get to have some of it this weekend." I say more as a question.

"Well thank you both. We can make that happen." she smiles at me. 

"Hi, I'm Ivanna and I will be taking care of you today. Can I start you off with something to drink?"

"Sweet tea for us please." 

After getting our food we sat in comfortable silence, eating. I take a moment to take in this moment. It was rare we got together anymore and it was peaceful to feel like a family. Even if only for a few days.

Upon finally making it to the cabin, I glance over at a sleeping Nyla and Sky. I press down on the horn startling them both. 

"We're here." I laugh at their displeased expressions. 

"That was not nice Daddy." Sky says as we exited the car. I glance at the beautiful scenery around us. There was no one around for miles and we had a creek and trails surrounding the property.

"Wow, all this nature. I hope there are no bears." Nyla laughs.

"I'll protect you guys, I brought my rifles." I open the door for them. It was just as nice as the picture. The wood interior went really well with the decor. 

"This is so awesome!" Sky screams taking off through the cabin, leaving Nyla and I alone. 

"Um, when I booked this cabin, I thought it was just going to be Sky and myself so I only got the king bed. The couch pulls out if you don't want me in the bed-"

"I don't mind." she gives me a smirk, walking away to look at the cabin. I felt my cheeks get hot as I followed her. Giving her backside a slow once over. I could tell she's been doing them squats the way her ass was sitting these days, aside from the fact I've caught her doing them at work a few times. It was more than a handful and I wanted it in both my hands.