𝚂𝙸𝚇

THE AWAKENING OF THE MUMMY

Chamber - Day

Kara's hand slips the key into the sarcophagus, locks and turns it. Mechinal like sounds are heard, and then the sarcophagus unlocks with a giant hiss. O'Connell, Evelyn and Jonathan all look very hungover. Kara looks well rested and happy. Jonathan and O'Connell start to slide the heavy lid off the sarcophagus. "I can't believe I allowed you the two of you to get me drunk. Kara why didn't you stopped me?" Evy asked her sister. "I did. After your third drink I had to pull you away from the bottle" she replied with a smile. "Don't blame me, I don't even remember being there" Jonathan said. "Well, neither do I, thank you. What about you Kara? Do you remember last night?" Evy asked. "Vividly" she replies while looking at O'Connell who smiles at her.

"Oh my god! We've dreamt about this since we were little girls. Haven't we Kars?" Evy asks excitedly. Kara smiles at her baby sister. "You dream about dead guys?" O'Connell asks Kara. "What she means is, she's dreamed about us discovering something together" Kara explains and he nods. Kara starts brushing the dirt and cowebs off the top of the coffin. Evelyn who's behind her is very happy and excited. "Evy, look, all the sacred spells have been chiseled off. The hieratics and hieroglyphs that protect the deceased on his journey into the afterlife, they've been removed. This man was cursed... doomed" she tells Evelyn who is taking notes and observing her older sister.

"Tough break" O'Connell says. "Yes, I'm all tears. Now, let's see who's indise, shall we?" Jonathan asks happily. "Evy, wanna do the honors?" Kara asks Evelyn as she hands her the key. Evy nods excitedly. Evelyn inserts the key into the coffin's lock. She turns it. The lid cracks open with a hiss. They all react to the foul stench. Then O'Connell and Jonathan grab the lid, they struggle for a second before opening it. The corps jumps up scaring the three of them except for Kara who looks at them and then laughs at their reactions. "I hate it when this things do that" Evelyn says. "Kara you didn't even blink" O'Connell says and she smirks. "I've seen worse" she simply replies with a smile. Her siblings observe her and O'Connell.

"Is he supposed to look like that?" O'Connell asks. Evelyn turns to her sister, waiting for the answer. "No. I've never seen a mummy look like this. He's, he's still..." Kara couldn't find the right word but Jonathan and O'Connell could. "Juicy?" they both asked. "Yes. He's more than four thousand years old and still... dicomposing" she replies. "Look at this" Evelyn says. "What do you make of this, Kara?" Evelyn asks as she points to the lid of the coffin, where are fingernail scratches all over the inside. "Oh my god" Kara says mostly to herself. "What?" the three of them ask. "He was buried alive" she replies, that sends a chill through everyone's spines, including Kara's. "He left a message" she says. "It says: 'Death is only the beginning'" she reads.

Jonathan shivers, O'Connell looks around. Evelyn looks at her sister for comfort, Kara grabs Evy's hand and gives her a light squeeze before smiling at her, letting her know she'll protect her. "Where's my gun?" O'Connell asks. "What are you gonna do? Shoot him?" Jonathan asks. "If he decides to wake up, hell yes!" O'Connell replies.