Chapter Thirty One:

Start from the beginning

"Blimey!" He mused, "I knew Hagrid was tall, but, a half giant?!"

"I wonder why Madam Maxine got so offended?" Harry asked aloud.

"Well, giants aren't exactly seen as... the most civilized of beings." Ron informed the awkwardly.

"Oh." Harry said.

"Yeah." Ron nodded, "That's probably why he wanted to keep it more on the down low...This doesn't change how I see him though, he's still the same Hagrid we've always known."

"Of course." Lily agreed, and Harry nodded.

They eventually made their way back to the door that lead to the Great Hall where students and professors alike were still dancing. Hermione and Viktor were talking outside the door, when Viktor left for a moment. Unfortunately, his absence gave Ron an excuse to go over and pester Hermione.

"You done yet?" He asked her.

"Oh, hi." Hermione said, nodding in acknowledgment, before registering Ron's words, "Done with what?"

"Talking to Viktor. You know he's the enemy, right? I thought you were supposed to be Harry's friend." Ron accused.

Hermione's mouth dropped open.

"It's fine-" Harry began, but he was cut off.

"What do you mean, the enemy?!" Hermione demanded, "The whole tournament is about making friends with other schools!"

"Oh, is it?" Ron glowered, "Cause I think Viktor has a bit more than friendship on his mind."

"And if he did, why would you care?! You're just acting like this because I didn't go the the dance with you!"

Ron looked flustered for a moment before his anger took over.

"I did ask." He snapped.

"As a last resort?" Hermione shot back, "If you had really wanted to go with me you should've asked me sooner, and not have insulted me!"

"Whatever. You can go back to dear old Vikky now, I bet he's looking for you." Ron said.

"What do you have against Viktor? Wasn't it just a few days ago you were trying to muster up the courage to get his autograph?!"

"Ron, we should go-" Harry tried to interrupt the argument again.

"Psh, I was just joking about that!" Ron continued, "Unlike you! You just became another fan girl!"

"Ugh! You're impossible! You ruin everything, you know that, Ron?!" Hermione cried, before rushing off to tell Viktor that she was going to retire for the night, too distraught to enjoy the ball any longer.

Ron glared at her retreating form. He then turned to see Lily and Harry's disappointed looks.

"What?" Ron asked.

"I'm going to go check on Hermione." Lily said, turning and leaving.

Ron looked to Harry who gave him a pointed look.

"You know, Hermione was right." Harry informed him, "You should've asked her sooner."

Ron sighed, looking around to make sure Hermione was still out of sight before replying.

"I know... I just suck at stuff like this." He admitted.

"Let's just go back to the dorm now." Harry said, and Ron agreed, the two boys going up to bed while Lily comforted Hermione in the girl's bathroom.

"I just don't understand." Hermione cried, "Why was he so mean?"

"He must not be good at this whole liking thing." Lily shrugged.

"Yeah... I'm going up to bed, join me?" Hermione offered.

"Sure." Lily nodded, helping her friend off the bathroom floor as they walked out of the bathroom.

On their way to the Gryffindor tower, Lily noticed Draco standing alone, so she told Hermione she'd catch up with her before walking up to him.

"Hi." Lily greeted him.

He glanced at her.

"Lily." He said formally.

"Are you having fun?" She asked, trying to decipher what was wrong.

"Why'd you care?" He snapped before composing himself at the hurt look on Lily's face, "Sorry, it's just been an... interesting night."

"...Yeah... so you came with Pansy?" Lily asked.

"Yes." He replied, not looking too happy about that, "Who'd you go with?"

"Toby Ross." Lily said, "Deci's brother."

"The family with the month names?" Draco said, looking amused.

"Well, yeah-"

He snorted, cutting her off.

"But of a weird family, don't you think?"

"December is my friend, and Toby was rather nice to me tonight, even though-" Lily began defensively, but Draco didn't want to hear about the Ross family, especially about October.

"Whatever." He snapped, "I'm going to find Pansy."

Lily tried to hide the hurt look on her face.

"Fine then." She said, not understanding why he was acting that way.

He marched off without another word, leaving her even more confused. Nevertheless, Lily made her way up to her dorm, changed her outfit, and fell into a deep, dreamless sleep.