Chapter 11

The lights flickered on, but Darryl was the only one awake. Clay and George had cried themselves to sleep, and Tommy had passed out from exhaustion. Darryl could feel it, starting in the pit of his stomach. The week was up, and his time was nearing quickly. His heart shot pain through him, and he winced.

     It was now or never, he realized. Even without his senses, he could feel his body failing him. He had to tell them, or he'd never get the chance. He stood up, pretending not to feel the weakness in his legs. He limped over to George and Clay, nudging them with his foot. George stirred first, blinking awake.

     " Hm? What is it," he asked sleepily. The brit woke Clay by sitting up. " Something wrong, Darryl?"

     " So much is wrong," Darryl admitted. " I need to talk to you guys before we enter the door today."

     Tommy let out a loud yawn, his eyes red and puffy. George climbed to his feet and helped Clay to his, and they stared at Darryl expectantly. The brunette took a deep breath, glancing nervously over to the doors. There were only four left, half of them gone. The walls were empty, and there was a bad feeling building in his gut.

     " Do you remember when I told you I was a reporter," Darryl blurted suddenly. George raised an eyebrow and Tommy nodded as he stepped closer. " I also told you that I mostly cover small stories. While that's not a lie, I was recently given a huge job. My boss trusted me, and I didn't want to let him down."

     Darryl paused, leaning against the wall. His legs gave out underneath him and he fell. Clay gasped, " Are you okay?"

     " No," Darryl said. " I'm so far from okay. I can feel my body failing me. That's why I have to tell you."

     " Tell us?" Tommy scratched the back of his neck. " Have you been hiding stuff from us, Big Man?"

     " Not hiding," Darryl disagreed. " I have to protect you. If you know, they'll have even more of a reason to kill you."

     " Who?" Clay sat forward, eyes wide. Darryl could understand his concern. It wasn't every day you heard someone wanted you dead. Darryl had already had time to process that. Clay put a firm hand on Darryl's shoulder, his eyes flashing dangerously. But nothing scared Darryl anymore.

     The brunette maneuvered to lean against the wall. " Sit back, I have to tell you a story."

     " Can't you just get to the point," Tommy groaned. George shot him a glare and he quieted immediately, shrinking back.

     Darryl winced, grasping his gut. " I was tasked with interviewing the SDC."

     " No way," George breathed out. That was a prestigious job, given to select few reporters for each location. They couldn't risk too many reporters getting infected and spreading the disease. Or at least, that's what they claimed.

     " When I showed up, I wasn't expecting to see him," Darryl trailed off, his eyes glazing over. He blinked, shaking away the thought. George and Clay glanced at each other curiously. " I didn't expect to be given a tour by one of the Big Three."

     " No way," George repeated, louder this time. " Which one?"

     Tommy held up his hand. " Sorry, wait. I'm confused, who are the Big Three?"

     " You don't know," Clay huffed. " They're all over the news. Maybe you just know them by different names."

     " They're the scientists that founded the SDC. They're the leading researchers for any and all things involving the Sleeping Death. They're famous for being really young, super geniuses," George said, rambling on. " You have heard of them, I'm sure."