Twenty Three

Dominicus had lost both duels in that round and was eliminated from the tournament. There was a short break between duels in which Darius took some generous gulps of water before his final match of the day, for the title of the tournament.

Fabien was a solid opponent, and after the first minute he and Darius quit making attempts to outwit each other using words and focused on their moves. Fabien was sneaky, extending his rapier rapidly out of the blue. Darius caught the flash of silver when he least expected it a few times but managed to block the attacks.

Darius decided to shift the position of their fight close to the boundary, like in his previous match. Fabien was nimble with his sword, but Darius was nimble on his feet and dodged Fabien's attacks by stepping away craftily and angling towards the boundary.

This confounded Fabien, and for a moment he simply circled Darius. Though not for long. He launched into lightning-fast attacks, the metallic clinks firing away as the two swords crossed.

He had to take control of this, thought Darius. On his next block he struck Fabien's sword with a mighty force. This time there was a more pronounced clang followed by a whirr through the air. Fabien's rapier flew out of his hand and landed across the arena several steps from them. Darius looked at the long silver slash along the sand -Fabien's fallen rapier- and raised his eyebrows, surprised at the result.

Fabien picked it up and walked over to him, extending his hand. 'Congratulations,' he said, his words drowned by the crowd's cheers and applause.

'Thank you,' Darius clasped his hand with Fabien's. They leaned in and patted the other's shoulder with their free hands.

The two men took to the resting area where the other participants sat, Darius taking to the young men's repartee as any of them. But he also watched the errand boys prepare the arena for the presentation ceremony. The tournament host pointed out a woman to an errand boy. Darius knew who it would be.

~~~<<>>~~~

The errand boy took a note from the host and made his way to Lord Flavius's seat. Flavius read the note without reaction, turning to Livia next to him. 'They request your presence at the ceremony.'

Darius, Dominicus and Fabien stood in a line at the arena on a little stepped platform. Darius, being the victor, stood at the centre step, higher than the other two. The host of the tournament stepped in front of them and addressed the crowd. 'It is tradition for the prizes to be presented by the chosen lady of the victor.' The crowd cheered, anticipating the arrival of the new girl who had taken Master Darius's heart. 'This year it seems a certain young woman has entranced several of the participants, including our champion, Darius of the Ignatus House. Let us welcome the lady herself, Miss Livia of the Flavius House.'

Amidst applause Livia was led to the winner's stand by the errand boy. Darius smiled when their eyes met. She detected an apology in his eyes.

The host announced the names of the two runners up and the tournament winner. As their names were called Livia was guided by the host to their prizes held on a tray by another errand boy. She smiled politely as she placed a golden medal on Dominicus then Fabien. Darius's prize was a wreath fashioned with metal and dipped in golden paint.

He lowered his head so that she could place the wreath on him. She found it inappropriate how she had to get close to him, practically touch his hair in the process. When he looked up once the wreath was upon him -fixing it in place with his hand- he smiled at her gently without any flirtatious veneer, erasing the unease from her mind.

'Perhaps the lady wishes to impart some words to her champion?' The host looked at Livia.

She didn't expect this part, which the spectators encouraged by sending up another cheer. Also when had Darius become her champion?

The crowd quietened down expectantly. She had to come up with something.

'I would like to congratulate the winners here on the stand,' she began. 'And all the participants.' She could tell the crowd wanted more, but at the silence they began some confused clapping. She might as well say it now that she had the opportunity. 'Thank you to those who have generously given me the honour of their tournament. I am...' Flattered? No, something wiser. '...Humbled to receive your praises. However, I feel... I feel rather distant from these praises, as if they are not for me but rather someone that- Someone that you see in a higher light than is the reality.'

The host raised his brows at her. This was not the typical address the Lady of the tournament made. The audience found it most curious and gave a laugh.

'I feel I am undeserving of it as you have made such high praises for a mere young woman, on such short acquaintance. So I'll consider a version of me to be the winner of so many of your hearts. Either way, I thank you for your generosity.' She hoped that wasn't too harsh. She didn't mean for it to be. It was simply how she truly felt -disconnected from the woman everyone had supposedly fallen in love with.

'Indeed,' said the host, 'thank you to Miss Livia.' He raised a hand to her while the usher escorted her back to her seat. 'She may feel it is underserved, yet her modesty in saying so shows just how deserving she is of the admiration showered upon such a beauty. We shall celebrate her modesty which makes her beauty even more rapturous.'

A new wave of cheering rose. When it died down, Darius spoke. 'Well, I think we should celebrate Miss Livia's rebelliousness, not her modesty.'

The host gave him a look, not knowing what to add.

'Yes, her modesty is admirable. Yet by not being bound by our adoration she has proven herself to be an admirable rebel.' Darius found Livia in the front row and smiled at her. He hoped she knew he was proud of her speaking her mind. She returned a measured smile.

The host said no more and gave a hesitant nod of the head, as the spectators cheered their approval.