39:

"Maddie, wake up," A loud voice shouted, disturbing my sleep as a heavy weight fell onto my legs.

I peeked opened my eyes just a little, really not wanting to wake up. It was Carson, of course, sitting on my legs, being loud and mean so early in the morning. 

"What time is it?" I groaned.

"Like 9:30."

"Why did you wake me up?" I whined. 

"Because I have to go, and I didn't want you to be upset."

I rolled my eyes, "Well, I'm upset anyway."

Carson chuckled. He grabbed both of my hands, and, without my consent, he pulled me up so I was sitting up in the bed. Again, I groaned, but I gave in and open my eyes.

Carson was now standing in front of me, his body angled so that his side was facing toward me. He had obviously just gotten out of the shower. His hair was soaking wet, and the only covering he had on was a towel that was very loose and low around his waist.  

I scratched my head, "Where do you have to go?"

"Home."

I stared at him in shock. He turned back toward me and looked down at me.

"My parents are insisting I drive them to the airport. They're leaving today."

"Carson?"

He shrugged, "It's whatever. I don't really care."

The thing about Carson is, before I knew him well, I used to think he was a really good liar. He's got a great poker face, too; whenever we'd play he'd be unbreakable. But recently, his lies were so easy to see through. 

I pushed myself up into a kneeling position on the bed. When he had taken his attention off of me, I wrapped my arms around his torso and pulled him down onto the bed with me. 

He didn't even protest, her just grabbed onto my hips for stability as I snaked my arms around his neck, trying to pull him as close to me as I could. He kissed my temple, and we both made the unspoken decision to lay in this somewhat-awkward but weirdly comfortable position for a while. 

"You should probably get dressed," I said after a while, noticing how his towel was only one wrong move from falling completely off of his hips. 

"Yeah, I probably should."

"You should probably get going soon," I continued as he flipped us over so that I was now lying on top of him. 

"Yeah, I probably should."

I picked my head up, and began playing with his hair, fully aware that he was staring up at me. I looked down at him, catching his eye, "Would you like me to come with you?"

He shook his head as he sat us up, "No. I just- I need to do this on my own."

He lifted us off the bed, and, discarding his towel, walked across the room to find a pair of boxers. 

"Okay," I responded. "When will you be back?"

Carson shrugged as he slid on his underwear and a shirt, "Maybe like one?"

"Okay, we'll talk after." After kissing him once more, I left the room, leaving him to his own thoughts, which it was very apparent he was completely involved in. 

*             *            *

"So can we talk about it?" She asked.