48:

a/n: Yes, I'm aware it's been like two months, and for that I am so sorry. I won't bore you all with excuses and explanations, but just know I haven't forgotten about the story or you guys. Thank you all for being so patient and kind. 

Also, we hit another milestone that we should talk about: Why in the hell does this have one million reads? are you absolutely kidding me? bye.

seriously though, thanks. 

anyways, here's the long-awaited next chapter. I'm going to try to get back to the semi-weekly updating schedule I once had, but I cannot make any promises. thank you for bearing with me. 

my love to you all. <3

____________________________________________

I found Dylan sitting alone in one of the middle rows of the mostly-empty chairs. There were a few other students here already, a group in the back and some in the front-most seats, but for the most part, the auditorium was pretty quiet still. 

"You know what this is about?" I asked, sliding into the seat next to him.

He shook his head, "No. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if it's somehow related to a stunt Jason's pulled recently."

"Jason hasn't pulled anything lately," Jason said, plopping down into the seat beside me. "I've been on my best behavior this week, just like I promised."

The volume raised more students flooded into the room as the start time of the assembly grew closer. The stage, however, was vacant except for a singular chair and a podium on the far right side.

"So, do we know what this is about?" Jason asked.

"No," I responded, turning to look at him. "You should move. Carson's going to kick you out of that seat."

He shrugged, "Finders keepers. I haven't even seen him yet this morning."

I shrugged, "He's here somewhere."

"Maybe he's dead," Jason said, absently.

"Now, that is what I'm talking about," Dylan scolded, his face contorting in confusion. "Why would you say that?"

"I'm serious! Maybe he was really thirsty, and he had no choice to drink from that rusty water fountain on the third floor, and the water killed him."

"Jason, you are an actual moron."

I shrugged, "It's not the worst thing he's ever come up with, if we're being honest."

The conversation came to an end as a more interesting subject presented itself. Zach appeared, walking up on Dylan's other side, with a girl under his arm. I didn't recognize her, but she was pretty. She was tall, light skinned, green eyes, and had long black hair. 

"Do you guys know what this thing's about?" Zach asked, a content smile on his face as he checked the time on his watch. 

"Um, no, I don't know," I replied, aware that I was still staring at the girl. "Hey, Zach, who's your friend?"

"Oh, um, guys this is Samantha," He introduced. "Samantha, these are the guys." They took the empty seats next to Dylan, just as the principal began climbing the steps to the stage.

"Did you know he was seeing someone?" I whispered to Jason.

"Better question: Does Luna know he's seeing someone?"

I watched as Carson appeared at the doorway of the auditorium. His eyes scanned over the room before settling on us. I watched in amusement as he came up behind Jason, towering over the sitting and unknowing boy. Fluidly, Carson grabbed the back of the chair and tipped it forward, causing Jason to tumble out. He fell onto the floor with a large slap.