𝟏𝟎. / 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐦 𝐛𝐞𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥

Start from the beginning

"You're forgetting we still haven't actually entered the warehouse." JJ remarked when sitting down by the end of the dock and wetting his feet in the crystal blue water.

"Yes, JJ. Thank you for your early morning positivity."

"Always."

"We weren't going to go there this early but since you mentioned it, Sarah and I did brainstorm on a few tactics."

"Enlighten me." JJ mumbled, having now laid down on his back with his arm blocking his eyes from the sunlight and feet still swinging in the water.

"Well..."

The teens spent the following hour soaking in the warm sun and discussing plots that would definitely lead them towards their goal this time, having settled on using Stella as a distraction that would get most eyes away from the warehouse, where the rest would then go in.

What Stella hadn't revealed to the rest of the group was that she had gotten a call from her mother late that evening. Penelope hadn't revealed much, but the rush in her voice and the insistence for her daughter to be kept inside the house definitely hinted at something — which was mainly why the younger Clemont wanted to persuade the group to act quick, as her mother's arrival felt closer each day.

"So what do you do for fun around here?" JJ asked as the four now roamed through the mansion's basement. "No way. John B, look at this!"

"A 70's longboard."

"Remember that time we stole one from that stuck up kook near the surf shack?"

Amongst reminiscing and laughs, Stella approached the pair who stared at the two longboards that hung from the wall. "These were my grandpa's."

"Grandpa was a cool man!"

"He was" the brunette smiled, thinking back on her father-figure's memory.

"Are these still usable?"

"JJ, I don't think we should-"

"No, go ahead." Stella smiled at the two, split amongst JJ's wishful eyes and John B's hesitant expression "they're just here collecting dust, anyways."

"Yes!" JJ fist-bumped the air and picked up the young teen, spinning her around before turning to grab the boards from the wall.

"Alright, easy there-"

As the two were now entertained examining each detail of the vintage boards, Stella joined Sarah who was looking anywhere for a possible distraction that the two could hold on to.

"Thought maybe this could work" she held the snorkeling glasses and tube up to the dirty-blonde.

"Stell, totally!" 

Gathering everything necessary, the clique was soon walking down the nearby road out further into the empty southern side of the island where according to Stella, a swell was forming.

It didn't take long for the two boys to run across the sand towards the shoreline just as they did during old times where surf was a part of their daily routines. Both Sarah and Stella just laughed their childish antics off and geared down to their bikinis, strolling down to the water.

For the first time in forever, the Nassau-raised was able to experience what normal teens usually did. Having grown up in an island where most teen occupancy was derived from the wealthy families that spent their holidays in the warm weather, friends was a strange concept to the teen.

Unlike the pogue friend group back in the Outer Banks, this was an unlike day for the teen and she was taking it all in. Swimming through the turquoise waters was one of her favorite hobbies up to this day, with the advantage of having a sidekick this time whom she shared the moment with.

They swam, chatted and laughed the afternoon away until their legs couldn't take them further and they laid by the sand for a break. The boys, on the other hand, didn't seem to ever get tired as each sat in their longboards talking on topics on end. It wasn't until they spotted the girls back in the sand, that they headed back to meet them.

"Who's up for a private surf lesson?" JJ flexed his free arm, as the other still held onto the board.

"Sounds amazing — are you interested, Stella?"

"Tempting. But I do have to head back, we ran out of water."

"We can all go-"

"Don't worry, JB. I'll keep her company. You guys wait up, we'll be right back."

Stella nodded, accepting the blonde boy's company without having asked for it and they got on their ways. The topics came easily and he was able to make her laugh in the first minutes.

She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but something in the Maybank teenager had changed her initial opinion. His sarcasm was now entertaining and even his childish comments turned situations humorous.

"Go ahead and get the water, I'll just take a minute to check on them back home." JJ waved at her, walking the opposite direction towards the burner phone that sat at the glass coffee table in the living area. The teen just nodded, while sitting on the kitchen island and waiting for his queue so both could head back to the beach.

After going through the smudged piece of paper that held his friend's emergency contacts back in the OBX, he pressed his phone to his ear, waiting enthusiastically for a response.

"Hello?"

"Pope, my brother! How's everything down there?"

"JJ, JJ is this you?"

The signal wasn't the strongest but the slightest perceptible.

"Yes. Who else?"

"JJ, listen!"

"Geez, less excitement please."

"You need to get out of there!"

- ⋆ -

back with another update

vote and comment, your feedback

is very much appreciated!