𝟎𝟖. / 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐫𝐚𝐥 𝐩𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧

          A NEW ROUTINE STARTED forming around the Clemont mansion as the four teens prepared for their next airport run

          A NEW ROUTINE STARTED forming around the Clemont mansion as the four teens prepared for their next airport run. Each day knowingly, Frank passed by to check on Stella around the same time before lunch and although she didn't want to believe it was by her mother's orders, he was still a crucial piece in the puzzle.

During those fifteen minute visits, she knew to hide them out so they didn't draw any suspicion that could jeopardize their mission. For the rest of the day, however, they were free to act as teenagers and enjoy their time as Stella had never known how to.

Having people her age in the island showed her to a new concept of enjoying the wonderful things she had always had at her service, but had never taken advantage of. From the morning hikes, to the afternoon fishing trips and even relaxing by the pool, they were starting to grow on her.

All except for one. JJ really knew how to get under her skin nearly every minute of the day and corner she turned — he felt like the rock in your shoe you try to shake off but just wouldn't go.

The pair spent their days in a constant battle between bickering and teasing, which Sarah and John B had now decided to plainly ignore and leave them to it.

Today, it was a quiet night at the house since everyone decided to drift off to sleep earlier, except for Stella. She was rather thoughtful and not as tired so she opted to sit down on the couch in the living room, as if waiting for the tiniest bit of sleep to waver over her. Since the others were staying at the spare rooms in her pool house, the main side of the house was all to herself during these times.

Returning from a quick bathroom run, she was fixing the knot in her bikini bottoms when a shiny light blinded her sight, noting the door of the fridge from across the room was now open.  

With no one in plain sight, the young girl stared at the scene for a few more seconds, wondering whether it had been her that had left it open for some apparent reason. She slowly walked over to the kitchen island and her dramatic self grabbed the first thing she could find — a harmless butter knife.

Although she had no recollection of having left it open, she feared that a wild animal may have entered the room during her absence, either a wild pig or boar as it wouldn't be the first time. 

Going around the kitchen island, she held the silverware in front of her. The brunette's heart beat in her chest and it felt like the only audible noise coming from those late hours of the night. She turned the corner, only to find nothing in sight. Finally able to take a deep breath, she sighed in relief.

"Oh hi!"

The jump she took was immediate as the noise from behind her brought an accelerated heartbeat all over again. Stella did a quick 180º, having the knife nearly rub on the individual's neck by pure accident. She quickly lowered her arm and rolled her eyes "are you serious?"

"Relax."

"I swear you'll probably be the cause to one of my heart-attacks one of these days." 

"Wouldn't be surprised." JJ mocked the girl, uncrossing his arms to reveal his bare torso to the teen's eyes. She forced herself to look up at the ceiling annoyingly. 

"What are you even doing here this late?"

"Hey, don't blame a guy for wanting a late night snack."

"At least close the fridge. I swear, you behave worse than the wild boars roaming around."

"That's... mean. I just went back to grab something."

He laughed at her irritated expressions and walked over to her, which she frowned to confusingly. The closest he got, the furthest the teen tried to walk, but her back soon hit the cold marble countertop behind her. "Just stay back." She lifted the butterknife back up at him, knowing it was of no harm.

"Well, this looks familiar." JJ laughed, resting both of his hands in the counter top behind her, cornering her against it. The knife was now up to his neck, and he couldn't help but smirk "it starts to feel like a pattern. First, the gun, not the knife..." he pointed between them both "but hey! If you're into that kind of stuff, fine by me. I totally support."

"Shut. Up."

"Make me."

"Ugh." She rolled her eyes at the predictable teen intervention.

His permanent grin approached her face, which was now unable to look elsewhere.

They focused on each other's expressions for a few seconds. Both predicted what that moment was bound to lead to and they were so caught up in the moment, until a dry cough interrupted up in the distance. 

"I'm sorry, I was just coming for a glass of water." John B frowned at the two, still rubbing his eyes, probably believing his tired vision was fooling him with the sight in front of him. Having the two nearly kiss while Stella held a knife at JJ's neck. "Am I interrupting?" 

She clumsily tried getting him off of her, walking away.

JJ laughed down at his feet, before turning to face his best friend whose expression now matched his.

"You're always on time, buddy."

"John B, this is so not what you are thinking." Stella argued, noticing the blonde's eyes were now fixated on her. She turned to him frustratedly "what?"

"The butter knife," she questioned him without saying a word, as he paused "what? I still need it for my sandwich."

She handed it to him hurriedly and turned to John B "Let's just all go to sleep, yes? We have a full day tomorrow." The young brunette announced, heading in a fast pace towards the stairs that led her to the upper level of the house and into her room. "Night!" She yelled, as she could no longer been seen. 

Once she was out of sight, the two best friends exchanged a glance, both smirking at the young girl's strange behavior. 

- ⋆ -