Chapter Twenty Nine:

Start from the beginning

"December? Ross?" He asked.

"Yes." Lily nodded, "Isn't that great?!"

"Well, I suppose so." Harry nodded, "Don't get me wrong, she seems really nice and all, but isn't she a bit... excited? Like, a lot?"

"She'll be fine, so long as she doesn't have too much sugar that day." Lily promised, "And you two will have a great time!"

"Okay..." Harry agreed slowly, before acting casual, "Do you gave a date yet?"

"Yeah, I'm going with October, Deci's brother."

"What?! But isn't that weird? Two siblings going with another pair of siblings?" Harry asked.

"We're all going as friends." Lily reminded him, "So, no. It's not weird."

"But he's a year older than you!" He continued.

"Dean's a year older than Lena, and they're going together." She said.

"But he's your friends brother, won't that be...odd?!"

"Not according to Deci."

"But do you even know him?!"

"I will soon enough."

"But he could be a total creep!" Harry cried.

"December said he's not." Lily frowned.

"But do you really want to take her word for it?!"

"Yes. Yes, I do."

"But-"

"Harry!" Lily interrupted, "I'm going to the ball with October! It will be fine!"

Harry opened his mouth to say something.

"And don't you dare start another sentence with the word "but"!" She added.

"Okay. I'm sorry. I'm just worried about you."

"It's just a ball, and we're not even dating." Lily sighed.

"I know. I just... worry." Harry said, "What if you go with someone I know better, like Ron?"

"Harry. It's my decision, and Ron already has a date with Parvati." Lily said.

Harry sighed in defeat.

"Fine. But if he hurts you..." He let the threat hang in the air.

"Relax, I can handle myself. And I have a feeling that even if he did somehow hurt me, Deci would take care of it herself."

Harry didn't look convinced.

"The worst thing Deci's even mentioned about him is that he stole his sister's gummy bears on the train."

"A thief!" He accused.

"It's. A. Gummy. Bear."

"Stealing is stealing." Harry shrugged, with a smile.

"You would know, Mr Rule Breaker!" Lily shot back.

Harry laughed, and they finally were able to talk of other things that didn't involve scrutinizing October.

Time flew by, and before she knew it, Lily was getting ready to go to sleep the night before the ball. In her dorm room, Lavender and Parvati were discussing how they were going to help each other get ready when Lily walked in. She saw Hermione awkwardly sitting on her bed, pretending to read a book.

"Oh, hi Lily." Lavender greeted quickly, before going back to rummaging through her makeup bag.

"Hi." Lily smiled shyly.

"Do you and Hermione want to get react with us tomorrow?" Parvati asked.

All three other girls looked at her in shock.

"Sure!" Hermione nodded.

"Oh, okay." Lily agreed as well.

"All... four of us?" Lavender asked, suspiciously.

"Yes, Lav, all four." Parvati said.

"...Okay." Lavender agreed, "But I wanna do everyone's hair."

"Oh, you don't have to do that, I can manage." Hermione said, self conscious of her curls.

"Nonsense." Lavender scoffed.

"No, really, I-"

"You're so smart Hermione, don't start being stupid now." Lavender said, "I'm doing your hair."

There was an awkward silence in the room that Lavender didn't seem to notice as she left to go and grab something from the bathroom.

"She means well." Parvati whispered to Hermione, who still looked surprised.

Lavender came back to the room, arms full of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion, which she dumped on Hermione's bed.

"Say hello to every curly haired girls best friend!" Lavender sang, with a slight smile.

"Thanks Lavender." Hermione said.

"Thank me when it works." She replied.