Put Your Hand In Mine

Start from the beginning

She finally adds her finishing touch of lip gloss to my lips before she moves away and presses her palms to her waists. "Okay, stand and let me see you."

I get up from the bed, pulling down the denim skirt I am wearing insecurely. The girls stare at me with widely opened mouths and I immediately wonder if I look like a clown standing in front of them.

"Do I look bad?" I ask. My forehead creases in worry. If I look awful, then I will just stay in for the night and never think of attending a party ever again in my whole life.

April shakes her head rapidly, her grin wide and electrified. "No way, you look fantastic. Oh my God, look."

She grabs my hand and pulls me over to the long mirror hanging on the wardrobe, gripping my arms as she peers at my reflection from over my shoulders. "Look how awesome you look."

My eyes grow wide at my reflection. I look...different.

My curly hair is permed into tight curls, having a fluffy look to it as it lies against my shoulders. The mild makeup does a great job at making my emerald eyes stand out and I am glad April kept it modest with just a touch of strawberry lip gloss, as opposed to that thick matte lipstick I see females wear in the movies. I don't think that'd look well on me.

"You are so pretty, Harmony," Yuna says, and I smile with a flushed complexion. "So are you...so are all of you." I laugh a little and they chuckle along with me.

Feeling intrigued by my own countenance, I take one more inspection of myself.

April loaned me one of her tops, a black off-the-shoulder blouse with lace, mesh sleeves. The skirt, however, is a bit too short for my liking. I have plump legs, that I am a bit insecure about and they are unable to hide with an attire such as this. But I wouldn't want to be the one to spoil their hard work, so I have decided to just gather some courage and wear it. Just for tonight.

If my mom were to see me at this moment, her overprotectiveness would sky-rocket to its peak and she would put me in her car, drive me home and banish me from stepping into this University ever again. I smile a little at the thought.

"Someone will be turning heads tonight," Tia says while circling her hips, and the girls laugh, Yuna smacking her with one of the pillows.

I titter. "Thank you, guys, for helping me get dressed."

April touches my shoulder gently. "Don't mention it."

"Alright! Let's go." Yuna grabs her purse, and I sit on the bed to put the shoes on as the finishing touch.

The girls create another uproar about the boots matching the attire and it gives me so much confidence. Enough to take me through the night. I just have to hope it'll be enough to help my being around Blaze.

••

My lips part in a daze when Blaze's house comes into view. A modern structure sitting on the hill with most of its constitution made of glass. It's a two-story house with green, lush grass surrounding portions of it, almost resembling a posh penthouse. It's such a vast difference to the house he took me to that last time in the woods, and I instantly wonder what his father does for a living. That thought makes me realize that I don't know much about Blaze Xander. He seems to hide a lot about himself.

"Here we are," Aprils says as she steers into the parking lot filled with cars.

My seat vibrates with the base of the music coming from the inside, and adolescents are gathered on the lawns, chatting, and dancing and just having a great time I would suppose. I feel a rush of anxiety. This is such an unfamiliar environment for me, and I don't know what to expect.