Chapter 3

Akari placed her shoes neatly into the locker, before closing it shut and making sure to lock it.

"Akari-chan!" She saw Oikawa wave at her, as he leaned against one of the lockers beside her.

"Oh." Akari raised an eyebrow. "You are fast."

Oikawa looked sly, but calm at the same time.

"I have the perfect idea to pass time with!"

...

"When you asked to hang out... I didn't think you meant volleyball practice..."

She stood at the entrance of the gym, looking at the boys who were currently practicing their hitting.

"Well, I thought it'd be fun to see you-"

"Good bye."

She was about to leave but felt somebody grab the back of her collar.

"Akari, I'm serious."

Her eyes widened, as the serious tone of Oikawa which he so rarely exhibited, suddenly stunned her still.

"Trying not to think about something is the same as thinking about it." He said, letting go. "No matter how much you will try to forget this, you will always remember. So what's the point in ignoring something you are eager for?"

"You..." Akari buried her face in her hand. "So, team captain, what do you suggest I do?"

"That's for you to decide." He replied, squinting his eyes and looking at the back of her head. "Talent is something you make bloom. Instinct is something you polish. You have both. It would be a shame to waste all of it. That's what I think."

She exhaled.

Akari turned around and walked over to where the boy was standing, extending her hand to pet the top of his head.

As she did, the boy was taken aback by her action, a slight embarrassed blush on his cheeks.

"At least you were finally genuine for once."

"Hmm?" Oikawa asked, looking slightly lost, but still unbothered.

"You always give me those fake grins and laughs." She smiled weakly. "I was starting to think there is nothing real about you but I was wrong."

She walked past him into the gym, as Oikawa was left stranded outside.

"Dammit." He placed his hands over his eyes, raising his head to look up.

He was beginning to realize how conscious he was of the girl. He couldn't help but stare at her, when she would lean into her chair and casually look out the window.

Even though she looked lonely, Oikawa knew she didn't mind.

However, even if this was just a crush, it would lead to nothing. His obsession with volleyball would send her packing. It would be the same thing as last time.

"Oh, Akari-san." He turned around, where he found Iwaizumi talking to the girl, as he wiped away his sweat. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, hello Hajime-kun." She said, as she looked at Oikawa.

They were already on first name basis?