Chapter Thirty Three

Start from the beginning

"Not here. San, don't start this here, please," Hyejin pleads, trying to make San back down before he can begin.

"I have to try," San says with more confidence in his voice, "I just ask for you two to give me a chance and listen to what I have to say, okay...?"

Gyungho and Hyejin both look at each other before turning back to San and nodding for him to continue.

"Seonghwa and I are fated mates," San says blatantly, deciding he might as well come right out with it, "We... We found out last year when you all came to Eclipse for the first time, right when he stepped foot in the grounds and we made eye contact."

San attempts to explain, hoping that Gyungho and Hyejin might understand the concept of fated mates, as much as they are rare.

San notices they're trying to take in all this new information, Hyejin looking slightly less surprised than Gyungho which worries San. He finds himself looking around a bit, in hopes to see his love, but with no luck, he continues his explanations and pleas.

"I know that Seonghwa is... er- betrothed to Eunji, and that in Chrysalis' rules we cannot be together, but... it could be dangerous for us to be away from each other," San tries to convince them, his voice getting more wary the narrower her eyes become as he speaks. He can't read her or what she could possibly be thinking, but he thinks he saw a hint of sadness behind her eyes.

"Please may I have your blessing..." San begs while he's thinking carefully over his next words, faintly hearing the sound of the door sliding open.

Seonghwa opens the door to his parents' room to see San standing there, his eyes instantly drawn to his love's back, seeing blotchy blood stains all over. Seonghwa doesn't notice as his eyes start to water at the sight, knowing how San's back must be wrapped up from the severe punishment he received. Seonghwa is surprised to even see him standing after that, having heard past stories of people being bedridden for weeks afterward.

"W-What is going on?" Seonghwa's voice shakes, but as soon as his voice reverberates through the room, San immediately turns around and they meet eyes. It feels like it's been so long since they've last seen each other, the memories of that beautiful night they shared together surfacing back up -- as if it ever left either of their minds.

Seonghwa feels an unusual wave of anger come over him as he sees his parent's faces behind San, knowing they're the reason why San is in such pain. They're the reason why Seonghwa has been hidden away the past few days, unable to even lay eyes on his love's handsome face. They told Seonghwa it was for the best, but the aching in his heart and soul knew otherwise. He knew how false their words were before they even left his parent's mouths.

Without San, Seonghwa would never be at his best. There would always be a piece of himself missing, leaving Seonghwa as a ghost of his own potential. San brought out the best in Seonghwa, and after letting down his walls for him, he wasn't sure if he was ready to build them all back up again. It felt good to actually feel something again and Seonghwa didn't want to let go of that. He didn't want to let go of San.