C H A P T E R 2 2

Start from the beginning

My eyes moved back to Sasuke. My right-hand landing on the sword at my waist. Slowly unsheathing the blade and pointing it straight at Sasuke.

"Shiori stop, I have to do this". His deep voice broke my heart.

"Shut up.... You're such a jerk".

My eyes locked with Sasuke's. His face now warped with disbelief.

"You need to stop this Sasuke".

"Shiori what are you doing?! How could you be trying to protect the person who slaughtered our clan!"

His voice was shrill and it pained me. But he needs to know the truth.

"I am not going to let you lay a finger on Itachi..."

"Shiori this doesn't concern you!" Itachi took a step in my direction. My arm came up blocking him from moving any further. My head turned to him, our eyes locked. All I could see was pain, pain from having to choose between staying alive for me and dying so that Sasuke could feel redemption... retribution.

"This does concern me! Stop trying to be a martyr".

The silence of the room was cut by the sound of chirping birds.

My head snapped back, my hand raising just in time to cut the blade of lightning. And just like that time years ago Sasuke's face was struck with disbelief.

"I never did end up teaching you this did I?" I spoke after the chirping dissipated.

"I just don't understand how you can defend him!"

My eyes lowered. "You know nothing about our clan. Or your own brother..."

"Shiori stop!"

"If you are going to kill Itachi for what he did then you are going to have to kill me too..."

"What are talking about?"

"I participated in the massacre... That night is just as much my sin as it is his".

Sasuke's face fell all the color draining from his face. Then a flicker behind his dark eyes.

Complete and total rage.

I could sense his chakra level up. His hand landing on his katana. His body moved a lot faster than I thought it would. But I could still see his movements. My arm raised just in time to catch his blade with my own. His sharingan stared deeply into my own. The tattoos of the curse mark stretch over the left side of his neck and over his face.

"Tell me you're lying". His voice was angry. But all I saw was the little boy I used to know feel betrayed by the people he loved most.

My eyes narrowed.

In one swift motion, my blade pushed back against his enough to send him flying back into the wall cracking his sword in the process.

"Know one thing Sasuke, you are not stronger than me. Or Itachi".

His face was filled with so much fury. But somewhere deep down he knew that what I said was true.

"Shiori stop".

Itachi's hand gripped my shoulder pulling me back. My hand caught his as I stood my ground against his push back.

"He is old enough to know the truth. He should be able to choose his own path". I shrugged off Itachi's hand taking another step toward Sasuke.

"You don't know a single thing about our clan".

"What do you mean!". I could see the confusion written all over his face. His voice was loud.