Ch. 21

*3 days after Shane*

"Mama? Mama!" Shards of her broken heart sliced through her veins. She shook her mother's body violently, but got no reaction.

"Mama you have to wake up! Mama please!!"

She felt arms pulling, tugging, forcing her away. It was the tall man from before, carrying her away from her mother. All she held dear was being ripped away.

"Let me go!" She screamed."I want my mama!!"
********
Nuffink closed the door as quietly as possible so as not to wake his family. For one, he didn't want to get an hour long lecture about sneaking out. For two, he didn't want Maisie to get woke up.

She hadn't slept well last night. Or the night before. Ever since Shane, the night terrors of her past had come back to haunt her.

Slowly, Nuffink made his way up the staircase. That's when he heard the whimpering. Without even having to look he knew it was coming from Maisie's bedroom.

"Not again," he sighed.

He walked over to her bedroom and pushed the door open. Sure enough, Maisie was thrashing around in her bed, drenched in sweat and mumbling. At least he got to her before the screaming started.

He crossed the room in three steps and gently shook his little sister's shoulder.

"Maisie, come on. Wake up."

"Mama!" She whimpered, thrashing out again.

He sat down on the edge of the bed and shook her harder this time. "Maisie."

She burst upright and looked around frantically. She sighed and shoved her hand into her short black hair, realizing it was a dream. "Oh.." She panted, on the verge of tears. "I was doing it again, wasn't I?"

"Just thrashing around." Nuffink murmured.

"Damn it." She said through clenched teeth, tears streaming down her cheeks. Maisie hated her dreams. Not just because of how utterly terrifying they were, but because of how much embarrassment they caused. She hated that she'd wake the entire house up at night. And keep her brother up half the night. He was the only one who could get her calmed down and back to sleep. Zephyr had always tried when they were younger with no success. And Maisie hated taking to her mom about the dreams. She felt as though it was betraying her. And her dad...if Nuffink wasn't around he could calm her back to sleep, but the dreams would always come right back. She felt like a five year old.

"It's okay." Nuffink held an arm out and she instantly fell into him, needing the hug more than anything in that moment. She felt more safe in her brother's arms than anywhere else. She sniffled as he wiped her tears away with his thumb.

"You gonna tell me what's got you so worked up?"

"Nothing's wrong. I just have bad dreams sometimes. You know that."

She felt him nod his head to the side. "Okay, true, but you haven't had the dreams about your mother since you were 10. And they came back after your father showed up. Coincidence?"

Maisie sighed and shook her head. "No, I guess not. But...I don't think I'm ready to talk about it yet, Nuff."

"Okay." He accepted. "I won't make you. You know that." He squeezed her tight and kissed the top of her head. "I'm on your side, ducky. Always."

"Ugh, I hate when you call me that!" She grinned.

"Gotta tease you somehow." Nuffink chuckled.

"You don't tease Zephyr."

"Zephyr is older than me and would kick my ass."

A shadow appeared and they saw Zephyr standing in the doorway.