18. Karma Is a Bitch

Start from the beginning

There is a note on the wall, done with red spray paint: Death to cops. It makes it more clear that this place is not somewhere normal people wander. But the word normal was removed from my vocabulary the moment I was born.

I move to the nearly collapsing building, slinging a backpack on my shoulder as Taehyung follows me behind. "Maybe enough with creepy places tonight?" Taehyung's deep voice brings my attention back to the fact that I am indeed not alone.

I turn to him "Keep your voice low." I whisper shoving my hand into my coat pockets as my hand finds the cold metal of my gun.

"But seriously, where exactly are we?"

Stepping into this old building is like stepping into a whole other dimension. The smell of dampness, cigarettes, and alcohol envelopes us the moment we step in, causing my eyelids to burn. The old ugly green paint on the walls is slowly rending in places. The only source of light is a poor excuse of a lamp dangling from, the once white ceiling.

"Nowhere" I whisper back. Indeed, the word is the definition of this place.

He makes a growl-like sound with the back of his throat, which most likely is a sign of annoyance. "Who are we visiting?"

"A friend" we start going up the stairs, which look like one wrong step and they can collapse under your feet.

"Do you usually visit your friends with duct tapes and poison-filled syringes?"

"Not all of them." We halt in front of one of the apartment doors as I start hammering on the door completely ignoring that there's a bell to ring.

Taehyung looks at me dumbfounded. "We whispered all this time, for you to come here and break the freaking door down as loud as you possibly can?"

I give him an amused look before bringing my focus back on the door. Loud footsteps stomp through the hall and the next moment the door is flung open. "Who the fuck i-"

"Housekeeping!" I purposefully make my voice a few octaves higher, smiling at him sweetly.

The man's words are lost in his throat at the sight of me. He stands there with a bottle of half-finished soju in his hands, looking like a herd of horses has just passed over him.

His first instinct is to shut the door back on my face but my gloved hand is faster. I grab the door and step in, motioning for Taehyung to close the door after him.

I step inside while Siwon stumbles back, running away to the tiny living-room, trapping himself there, pure idiot. The living room has a couch across one wall and TV on the other, the small table in front of the couch is littered with empty bottles of soju and beer cans. He presses himself to the wall looking at me like I'm some kind of predator.

"I-I didn't do anything" He chokes out breathlessly, eyes filled with terror "I swear I didn't want to" I take a step towards Siwon and he presses himself to the wall even more as if wanting the wall to dematerialize so he can fall into the apartment next door. "They threatened m-" He doesn't finish his sentence as I fire my dart pistol, and the tranquilizer sticks to his arm, and he falls on the floor with a loud thump.

I don't care what they did.

"Taehyung," I hum whirling around to find him focused on the TV screen, not even paying attention to what I'm doing. I snap my fingers in front of his face, and he looks at me as if I just woke him up from sleep.