Midnight Ball : Shouto Todoroki

Start from the beginning

The clear pool laid stagnant before you as you knelt down to look into it. The light of the moon bounced off your bejeweled costume mask, causing the water to sparkle even brighter beneath you. A large koi fish took notice of your signal, lazily sliding its stout, tri-colored body towards the surface in hopes that you may have brought it some food.

"I'm sorry, little friend," you whispered to its expectant gaping mouth, "I don't have anything for you."

You watched him for another moment, little splashes made by the fish's fins breaking the stillness of both the silent night air and the pool's surface.

"You've upset him."

The sound of an unfamiliar voice made you start. You straightened, brushing off the front of your skirt. Turning, you saw the figure of a man standing a few paces away from you. His build was lean and strong, and a mask of his own glittered in the all-encompassing moonlight. It was difficult to make out any identifying features, but a part of you just knew that he was intangibly handsome.

"Sorry?" you said, trying to compose yourself.

Perfect. This was just what you had been trying to avoid: interaction. Maybe he'd go easy on you and let you leave soon, or maybe he could have something genuinely worthwhile to say.

"That fish," he clarified. "He's hungry."

You pursed your lips together in thought as you stole a glance back at the pond. Your koi friend had retreated back to the depths of his home as soon as you had turned your back. The air hummed with silence once more.

"Is he, though?" you asked. "He probably gets fed just as well as any other creature living on the grounds."

The mysterious man shrugged. "True, but perhaps that's the most joy he gets out of life."

"Oh." You stood there awkwardly for a second in silence, trying to think of a response. "That's a little . . . grim."

"Sorry." He shifted. "I've always felt bad for fish."

"How so?"

He took a step closer to the pond, bending a bit at the waist in order for him to see into it better. "They have less freedom. Little to do, nowhere to go . . . sometimes they remind me of myself a bit."

"Oh?"

"I'm not terribly fond of my father."

You blinked, wondering if he was going anywhere with this.

His eyes finally snapped up to yours. The moon caught their shades perfectly, drawing out hints of color that would normally be lost to their own depths. It struck you suddenly that you had seen these eyes before; one a steely silver while the other was a lovely cerulean that nearly seemed to glow. Where had you previously seen these eyes?

"Sorry," he apologized again. "I didn't mean to overstep." He straightened up to properly face you, his posture rigid and practiced, just as you had seen all the other noblemen do your whole life. "My name is Shouto Todoroki, son of Duke Enji Todoroki," he said, piercing eyes growing a little glassy at the voicing of his own name. He bowed to you, and around the top of his mask, you took notice of his perfectly split bi-colored hair. "My lady," he said.

"Shouto?" Yes, that was right. You'd met him a few times as children, playing together while your families held council meetings. It had to have been nearly ten years since you'd seen him last, and to be honest, he'd grown into quite the man.

"Yes?" he answered, uncertain.

"It's me," you said, lifting your mask a bit to better show off your eyes and features in the dim light. "(F/N) (L/N)."