Chapter 3: We Affect Eachother

Start from the beginning

As she was finished with shower and dressing, Karla departed to her office. But, Snape didn't reveal himself after an hour.

     Is he joking?

She managed to push down her temper. The Calming Draught really helped, but she realised that she shouldn't be treated like so. Thus, she decided that she would be the one to visit him.

     Appreciate, Karla! That's the key. He has his own reasons.

Karla reminded herself as she walked to his storeroom. To her dismay, he wasn't there. So, she went down to his classroom near the dungeons.

The dark and cold corridors called back the memories of how her heart pounded every time she rushed through it due to being late attending Snape's classes. She was a bit uneasy with the empty and dull atmosphere it produced, making her question how he was not suffering in this kind of air. Or maybe he did kind of enjoy it?

As she arrived there, she could see the light peaking from under the thick wooden door. Her heart pounded even more as another memory suddenly emerged. Karla remembered how she usually put herself together in the same position years ago when she was about to ask Snape regarding potions subject, which she couldn't quite understand. The experience led her to know that he was a man who disliked being disturbed.

But this time would be different. Because she was there with a more valid reason, she shouldn't need to be restless. So, she knocked.

Inside, Snape knew it was her, he sighed behind his newspaper and was thinking of not welcoming her. Until she knocked for the fourth time. His feelings about this coercion would soon be the same in the upcoming year with Dolores Umbridge.

The dark head snapped open the door whilst forcing himself to be as calm as possible when in fact she was frustrating him. Karla looked up at the man towering over her, her height only reached his hooked nose.

     "Good morning, Professor!" She wished politely.

     No! Why would you greet him like how you used to 10 years ago? You should be offended by his childish behaviors!

     Wait, no! Maintain your patience! Remember the key! He has his reasons, woman! Be professional!

Snape didn't reply to her greetings as an angel and demon quarrel on top of Karla's shoulders. Both of them had a momentary silence whilst staring at each other.

     "I'm under the impression that you're forgetting our appointment?" Karla finally continued.

     "Not at all, Atkins! I was just finished getting ready." He lied, putting up what seemed to be a forced brief smile.

Karla cringed at the sight. After all the years discussing with her friends about his disability to smile, she had to be the one witnessing something that she eventually found to be awful.

      Okay, I'm just overreacting. It's too sudden. This is my first time handling him as a colleague.

The counselor cleared her throat as she shook the earlier fake gesture off of her mind. She clenched the nervous feeling Snape gave her and threw it away down the cold corridor.

     "Well, since I'm already here, why don't we have our session in your classroom instead? It might be more comfortable for you," Karla forced a smile as she suggested.

     "Perfect!" With that, he stepped away from the entrance and gestured for her inside.

Snape then closed the door as she entered. Her gaze wandered throughout the classroom. She hadn't been down there since she was back in Hogwarts. Her colleague then pulled a chair for her in front of his desk. Karla sat and thanked him.