𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗

Começar do início

"How is it stupid?" I raised one eyebrow.

He didn't miss a beat, "Because you already know the answer."

That's all I needed to hear. I walked to the door and could sense Keenan's curiosity as I did. I took my time, taunting the moment. Once the handle was in my palm, I shut the lone entrance and started towards the bed again, reclaiming my position on the safe edge.

When I looked at Keenan, I didn't miss the satisfaction on his face, indistinct as it was. Joy bloomed in my chest at that. Ki turned to the window and looked out, hands grabbing the sill. "Three years ago, I was shittier than now. Hard to believe, I know," he began, "Alicia signed me up for therapy and made me talk to people. She wanted me to make friends—to socialize. Bullshit, if you ask me. The only friend I made was Dominic." the tone of his voice convinced me that the knot's loosening.

"That's because she trusted him," he added, "A year ago I told her that I'm fine and that I got my shit together which is obviously a lie."

"You hate lying," I implied.

"I do," he said and drummed his fingers against the metal frame, "but that doesn't mean I don't do it."

"I understand," was my safe comment even though the statement was unnecessary. Keenan already knew I understood.

"I always think that she's overreacting about things, you know?" he squinted, looking in the far distance, "that her jumping into conclusions and being paranoid's a bad habit. It's not. It's some sort of defense mechanism."

It made perfect sense. Keenan continued, "Dominic's one devoted son of a bitch."

"He is," I agreed. Patient, too. Now that I think of it, Alicia does deserve Dominic. That woman deserves someone whose care stretches for miles and miles. Dominic, however? he should be treated better. I've lost faith in relationship balance and I don't think any bond can be equal. There are always gonna be little habits that serve as extra decimals.

He turned to me and opened his mouth. Before words could come out, Keenan closed it again. Hesitation on this man looks like a neon orange sweater. Ki was about to say something else, I'm sure, but he settled with "I'll call her."

And he did. Keenan walked to the table in the far end of the room, sparing a reluctant glance at the liquor on a tray—so subtle I almost imagined it. Head bent towards the device, his thumb scrolled through contacts as he exited into the hallway. I followed slowly, reaching the outside enough to see him pass a doorway to a balcony overlooking the pool below.

Time passed and I spent it sitting by a corner, waiting for him to finish. I processed what had just happened. It was a show of vulnerability once again—something Travinos must hate like... like shitty WiFi. My head stretched to wrap around the escalation of being fucked against a table in the prior hour and witnessing a sick revelation in the next. Truly no day is dull around Keenan.

By the time the call finished and he re-emerged into the hall, the air was awkward. I could tell that he's not used to having company in times like this. Human nature as basis, I'd say Keenan regrets speaking earlier. But I could see it: I could see that he's trying. If he was to tell me to leave, I'd assume it's because he doesn't know how to handle being comforted. The man hesitated near the door and it looked out of character. Unlike usual, the blank look on his face looked forced.

I licked my lips, "Is everything all right?" I wondered as my fingers picked at the material of the armchair.

His answer was not direct. Instead, Keenan said "She's with Dominic."